PDA

View Full Version : Spandrels with Back-Pan

cbrimley
2010-02-08, 07:31 PM
I am making a curtain wall and at the slab I am trying to model a simple shadow box. I successfully made a panel family that consists of a layer of glass and a offset layer for the metal panel behind. This works for the regular (90 degree) grids, but when I reach a angled grid it will not work.

I tried defining parameters that would allow me to custom angle each panel, but still it would not allow me to place the panel where an angled grid exists.

Does anyone know how to make a custom panel that will work with an angled grid?

In the attached images you can see the panel I made is comprised with two layers or solids (both with parameters defining their size and position relative to the CW grid). When installed in the CW model it works, but not at the end condition where the angle exists.

Thanks.

sbrown
2010-02-08, 07:52 PM
This is a problem I haven't found a good solution for either. I just edit a system panel to be a material called Glass - Spandrel and make its thickness the full size. then show the actual assembly in detail only.

jpyeatt
2010-02-08, 08:33 PM
Ditto, sbrown. More or less.

I've run across a few 'issues' with Curtain Systems, one of which being that they won't allow for the insertion of 'custom' Curtain Panels into non-orthogonal grids. If you happen to have an angle across the top or side of a grid... you won't be able to insert your custom panel into the atypical portion(s).

I've come across this recently while working on an angled parapet. I ultimately had to abandon my custom panel. If anyone has a fix...

markusb
2010-05-26, 11:57 PM
What about rendering spandrel glass? There doesn't seem to be a material out there that looks anything like back-painted or spandrel glass. How do you handle this?

greg.mcdowell
2010-05-27, 04:25 PM
I haven't tried this but I wonder if you make a custom panel that is rectangular but has parameters to control the slope of one or more edges if that would work.

markusb
2010-05-28, 07:48 PM
I haven't tried this but I wonder if you make a custom panel that is rectangular but has parameters to control the slope of one or more edges if that would work.

You probably could, but that sounds too complex and time consuming to do something that should be relatively simple. I mean, I'm really just looking for a material that is spandrel or back-painted glass.