PDA

View Full Version : 4' x 8' plywood tiling representation (3d view)

diesellam
2010-02-09, 09:43 PM
What's the best way to show the 4' x8' plywood with plywood texture in the 3d view?
(Like a wall that you can see the tiling of the 4' x 8' plywood in the 3d view.)

cliff collins
2010-02-09, 10:00 PM
Create a new plywood Material (under Manage>Materials) with a custom surface pattern using a model pattern so it will appear in 3D. Then create a new Wall Type with the plywood Material at the exterior face.

For the Fill Pattern, you could probably take a pre-existing running bond brick fill pattern, and save-as to create a new 4' x 8' "running bond" pattern.

Revit Fill Patterns are a bit of a pain--they use the same .pat file as Autocad.
They come in two varieties:

1. Drafting patterns
2. Model patterns

Make sure you use a model pattern so it will show in all views, including 3D.
The drafting patterns only show in the specific 2D view where it is applied.

There are a lot of posts on this forum on editing fill patterns--do a search.

cheers........

ford347
2010-02-09, 10:04 PM
In my field drawings and wall panel layouts, I've gone as far as building a plywood family and actually applying that to the outside of the walls themselves, but not all projects warrant that much attention, especially if you have other finishes, simply because it's kind of a pain.

You can modify a CMU model pattern and make the block sizes 4' x 8'. Because it is a model pattern, you will be able to align the pattern where needed. I'm not sure if I still have a pattern, but I'll check it out.

A down and dirty way, which actually gives you some flexibility, is use model lines and draw your desired pattern on the wall itself in elevation views. This may be handy if you run into areas where a standard 4' offset is not convenient, such as staggered wall sheathing.

Josh

diesellam
2010-02-09, 10:24 PM
Yes, I'm trying to show the formwork of the concrete walls.

I'm curious what's the best way to do this, to use the wall pattern that shows the tiling of the 4' x 8' plywood or to actually building the 4' x 8' piece with the plywood texture applied to it.

Also another question is what's the best method to build the formwork "board forms"?