PDA

View Full Version : Keynote Instant Update!

nsinha73
2010-02-11, 06:32 PM
Note: Atleast Aplause even if you knew this trick!! :-D

Ok guys...
1. Open Your "Keynote Text File" From WITHIN Revit. Annotate / Tag Ribbon / Keynote Settings
2. Click Browse and Right - Click on the YourFileName.TXT then instead of OPEN....click on EDIT!
3. After you have done your Changes, simply close and Save the YourFileName.TXT.
4. This time Double-Click on it ( while still in the windows Dialog Box).
5. You should be Back in your KEYNOTE SETTINGS Dialog box
6. Select VIEW or OK to see "INSTANT CHANGES" in your Keynotes! Updated through the entire Project!!

Thank you Thank you!! (Bowing) :-D

In hopes to get another "Green Dot" on my Avatar! ;-))))

polyporter
2010-02-11, 07:59 PM
**applause**

I use to open the keynote text file seperate from revit, edit, then reload it in revit but this seems pretty quick thanks

sbrown
2010-02-11, 08:05 PM
Bowing down now, you are worthy, you are worthy oh keynote guru. Thank you for sharing this trick!!!

trombe
2010-02-12, 01:02 AM
nsinha !!

you have my vote.
ya wonder when this was amended though..I don't recall seeing it in any documentation in 2010 or subsequent WU-1, WU-2 or SP3 docs..has anyone else noted this ?
Either way, thanks for the great heads up on this.
I have stalled on getting into keynotes (even though I would like to have and did testing for a little time) because it was too painful to use so now I might finally start using the tool !

They have not got around to a system of linking into something external that is part of Revit or Revit owned have they ? ( I mean apart from e-specs and the like) for 2 way update between your spec and the keynotes AND, that is not proprietary ?

thanks
trombe

Gadget Man
2010-02-12, 10:27 AM
... ya wonder when this was amended though..I don't recall seeing it in any documentation in 2010 or subsequent WU-1, WU-2 or SP3 docs..has anyone else noted this ?...

Actually, it has nothing to do with Revit - it's Windows feature - when you right click on any file from inside any list box some other options (if relevant and available) are displayed - in case of a text file it happens to be "Open" and "Edit" - among other things...

Nevertheless, until now I never thought about this in such a context - I always automatically left-clicked on a file name, so only the expected action was invoked. But right-clicking opens up more possibilities! Good find and a green "dot" awarded ;)

And, by the way, it also works in the earlier versions of Revit, as well as other programs :)

twiceroadsfool
2010-02-12, 01:14 PM
I actually just keep the text file opened when im working with it. Simply hitting the browse button and then hitting okay reloads the text file... Itll update immediately. You can stay right in there.

I heart keynotes. :)

trombe
2010-02-13, 07:55 AM
ha jetisart,
what do you know an accidentally good Windows tip !
cheers for that too.
(yes I added a green light also !.

Aaron, we use what is called the CBI Index over here, which I assume has been a licensed subset of the MasterSpec system introduced to NZ in the 80s ?
For those using Masterspec as a subscription this is the base and for everyone else, free access to the base CBI Index is there.

So once you have formulated the / your own take on the content...I mean, extended the tree to include your extended indexing and content, the main gig is to keep it up to date yeah ? so I assume you have it open because the system has to be constantly added to and revised to maintain currency and naturally evolving to company needs and whatever is going on in the marketplace with products.
I assumed all this was necessary but what a bummer as it is just one more layer of database management I could do without right now.
How can you link the keynote system , into an in house (for instance) Word document - and get it to synchronise somehow ?
Otherwise all we have is a standalone keynote (albeit that it updates inside Revit) appearing in the drawings but the identifying / common information for the keynote does not appear in the specification or for that matter, any where else unless you manually enter the relevant indexing keys as some inserted graphic (tee-d-eeus) or numbers (equally so) and what is the benefit of having all this flash gear if it cannot even be simply integrated with one of the most basic of all Windows tools - the word processor?

cheers
trombe

trombe