PDA

View Full Version : Grids Missing after Raising the Building

tmcguire17
2010-02-12, 01:55 PM
Sorry to revive an old post but I have this issue and while I agree its not the end of the world in elevations my concern is this. If you start your model, add your levels put in your grid lines both x and y then someone says hey we want the 0,0 elevation to be the real world elevation ie., 854'-0" you lock the levels move the first level (0,0). Now you want to add more columns but you cant place them at intersections because the grids parallel to the radius do not show on alternate levels. You cant go into the elevations and stretch the grids up to bisect all your levels because they dont display. Now what do you do. Start the model over?

Steve_Stafford
2010-02-12, 05:21 PM
You are talking about a slightly different problem. The grids are still there, just not extended all the way up to eight hundred plus feet. If you zoom in where they used to be they'll still be there. The answer isn't to put the building at the "real" height in the project file. There are two techniques you can use to define the real elevation and "leave the building" at a project elevation.

Relocate Project will let you "move" the building without actually raising the building at all. Your move just tells Revit how much higher or lower it really is. Then the level type properties can be changed to show Shared Elevations instead of Project.

You can also create a separate site project that you link the civil data into. Assuming the civil file has contours at their correct elevation you can then link the building project file in. Position the building on site and move the building up to the correct elevation. Using the Publish Coordinates tool you can "tell" the building file what these changes are and it will understand it's real world location and elevation. As in the other example the Levels can be modified to show the true elevation instead of the project elevation.

In both cases the building model is not altered itself. You can watch a couple videos that describe the second process, THIS ONE (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2009/09/starting-project-two-pieces-of-advice.html) and the other one is at DESIGN REFORM (http://www.designreform.net).

tmcguire17
2010-02-12, 05:34 PM
Thanks Steve. So then do you advocate just creating your model at its 0,0 elevation then "relocating" it via the relocate model process as explained?

tmcguire17
2010-02-12, 05:40 PM
The grids do exist at 0. I created a level at 0 and they are there. Is there any provision in revit (on a curved grid) for extending those grid lines back up to get them to display or do I have to blow em away and recreate at the new zero?

tmcguire17
2010-02-12, 05:51 PM
OK, very nice. The relocate project command works nicely! :-)

Steve_Stafford
2010-02-13, 12:51 AM
The grids do exist at 0. I created a level at 0 and they are there. Is there any provision in revit (on a curved grid) for extending those grid lines back up to get them to display or do I have to blow em away and recreate at the new zero?Curved grids will appear if they are cut in a section (or elevation) view that is aligned with the origin of the arc.