PDA

View Full Version : DWG and View Ranges

kkintz
2010-02-15, 07:23 PM
I have imported a DWG into the file as a reference but would like to see it in the floor plan. The problem I'm coming across is that when I look at the floor plan, the DWG is not cut where the floor plan is cut. The view shows all of the DWG, if I'm on the first floor plan, I can see the lower level and even the second floor. It's not being cut with the floor plan. Does anyone know why this is happening, and is there anything I can do to fix it?

d.stairmand
2010-02-16, 03:30 AM
Kelly, Its just what you get from an Import
In a Section you get the complete side elevation, in a Floor Plan you get a Roof Plan.

The Workaround that we use (for 3D files) if to export the file as a IFC, Then Import the IFC into a new Project File, Save It, Then link this into the Original File.

phyllisr
2010-02-16, 10:06 PM
The IFC solution is great if you have good quality 3D content as a source. We have not been so fortunate.

An alternate solution that works for 2D content as well as poorly created 3D content (depending on your goal) is flattening the drawing then adding one element with a height or thickness that extends through the cut plane of the ceiling for that level. This way, you can see what you want on the appropriate level without compromising other views.

Attached is a document we created for our staff that we update continually as we move further and further from ADT (now ACA). We are finding that we do not have many AutoCAD power-users left who remember this stuff so it is something of a challenge. All our projects are Revit but that does not mean we are not still dealing with projects that are resurrected from the archives or files we get from owners and clients. Keep in mind that this is highly specific to our internal environment (we were dealing with legacy AutoCAD projects and legacy content from multiple versions of ADT) but it might help you understand the strategy.

(And if the documentation sounds a bit draconian, it is intentional. I deployed ADT 2005 and created all the content and even I cannot remember half the stuff. Mostly, I dislike supporting the process and will move heaven and earth to avoid it. :cry:)

ijnicholas
2010-02-17, 05:22 PM
To get a true cut, you might try inserting the DWG file into a Generic Family and then import the generic family into the project. I think, the DWG wont be linkable...

phyllisr
2010-02-17, 05:25 PM
...inserting the DWG file into a Generic Family...
You correctly noted the problem with using the DWG as a link but even if this is not a huge issue, we tried this very early in our migration to Revit and discovered some truly unfortunate performance issues. It might work for a small file but we ultimately dumped this workflow entirely.