PDA

View Full Version : Tagging Hidden Elements

leeba
2010-02-16, 07:42 PM
It's nice that Revit automatically turns off tags and dimensions that snap to hidden elements. However, I'd like to be able to override this... Maybe someone can come up with an idea to help me.

I need to tag a hollow metal frame system with a "frame type" that ties into my door schedule. My doors have a "frame type" parameter. My curtainwall does not. If I tag the door with my frame type tag, all is good - it shows up in the door schedule and I can see it in my frame elevation. However, I'd like to be able to show the frame elevation WITHOUT the door. Hide the door - and the tag disappears too. Is there any way to keep the tag while hiding the door?

What I have now is a modified wall tag that pulls the frame type number from the curtainwall Mark. The obvious problem is if the frame type number changes, it won't get picked up in the door schedule.

All ideas and comments welcome!

cporter.207875
2010-02-16, 09:18 PM
Just use the linework tool to make the door's projection lines invisible in the frame elevation.

leeba
2010-02-16, 09:21 PM
That works better than what I've got going on... Though I DO hate using the linework tool. Thanks, it's my best solution for now!

sthedens
2010-02-16, 09:30 PM
Welcome to the catch-22 dilemma that is doors/windows/storefronts/curtainwalls in Revit. Once you get one thing working, it breaks down somewhere down the line. The fact that these things need to be shown properly in plan, normal elevation, frame elevation and schedule is the problem. You always end up faking something somewhere.

Lots of people use curtain walls where they are really dealing with a storefront. Curtain walls are a cool design solution, but you can't use Legend Components to get Frame Elevations. You have to use normal elevation views and you end up with your current problem. (Hint, move the tag and mask the door.)

Creating it as a large Door family representing a storefront works well. Legend Components allow you to show the frame elevation without the door panel, but you can't tag the Legend Component to display the frame type. Plus, if you have more than one door panel in the frame, you can't schedule them independently (e.g. if the panels have different hardware sets).

Sorry I don't have an answer, just feel your pain. There are people a lot smarter than me on this forum. Hopefully there is a solution that covers all the bases in an automated fashion. BTW, add e-spec to the equation and it gets more complex yet.