PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Revit Schedule and QTO Estimate

sureshchotrani
2010-02-17, 07:56 AM
Hello there,

Please let me know why should I buy QTO if I can do the estimate in Revit. Is there any advantage by doing estimate in QTO over Revit?

Thanks for your help.

hypnox1
2010-02-25, 12:42 AM
Hello there,

Please let me know why should I buy QTO if I can do the estimate in Revit. Is there any advantage by doing estimate in QTO over Revit?

Thanks for your help.

I actually just answered this question earlier today and would be happy to give you the full explanation.

What Autodesk QTO can do that Revit cannot. This is an interesting question that is not very easily answered. You see, what it comes down to, the final answer is that both are capable of producing a take-off of material quantities, costs, time or all 3 at the same time.

Where QTO excels and Revit falls behind is in efficiency. Assigning cost to Revit elements is a slow process, best done through schedules of elements. Often the schedules must be separated in to categories of elements to produce the best results. This is especially true if you are looking to get quantities of sub-assemblies, such as how many pieces of dimensional lumber are going to be needed for framing walls. Creating the estimate of studs will have to be done one of two ways. The first method is to actually model out every individual stud and framing member, this will yield the most accurate result and if done to perfection would include such elements as needed window/door framing. The second method is to derive a total number from a calculated value in a schedule, this will not be entirely accurate for all framing needs and a waste calculation will be needed in the formula.

Furthermore, if a model is being produced by an outside company it is likely they will not associate any costs with the elements in the project file. This poses a serious issue when the take-off must be updated, going from design document to construction document phase for instance. All costs will have to be re-assigned in this case, requiring double work within Revit. QTO catalogs will not require this double work. QTO also takes efficiency one step further, when a Revit model is used, and can remember element assignments and automatically assign elements for you based off of previously used assignments. Thus reducing work load in re-assigning cost and updating take-offs after a revision.

QTO also excels at producing take-offs of materials needed. Through the creation of assemblies in QTO you can quickly create estimates of needed materials for construction from total dimensional lumber needed to pieces of gypsum board needed. Break downs of roofing materials needed for everything from bundles of shingles to total framing needed to rafter frame or truss frame a roof can be calculated as well, and much more easily than Revit is capable of.

The final point is that QTO can do manual take-offs from image files such as PDFs. However, even Revit is capable of creating take-offs from these formats. The difference once again comes down to efficiency. QTO will be a much better program for producing take-offs and cost estimations than Revit will be.

This is a brief look at how QTO can increase efficiency in producing take-offs compared to Revit. They both can do the same job, one is just better at it. Much like if you wanted to haul a large amount of cargo across the country, you want to pick the semi-truck and not the F150. In the case of cost estimation, QTO is your semi-truck.

sureshchotrani
2010-02-26, 05:13 AM
Thanks Lot,