PDA

View Full Version : Linux Data Server

bforsyth
2004-12-01, 03:19 PM
Is anyone successfully using a Linux Server for data storage with a network of ADT 2005 seats? Any issues?

cbright
2005-02-08, 01:27 PM
When creating a project in ADT 2005, apj file is not created. This happens only on our Linux sever, not the Windows servers. Problem is, our projects are all kept on a Linux (Nitix) sever. The server is fairly new, so we are not gonna dump it and move all projects. Anyone know how to make this work.?
I have tried dropping every user into the Domain Admins group on the Linux server. but that doesn't work either.
Please help.

Carlos

Mike.Perry
2005-02-08, 01:32 PM
Hi

Check out the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS84994 - APJ file not generated when creating new project on network (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=5015381&linkID=2476059)

Have a good one, Mike

cbright
2005-02-08, 02:13 PM
Hi

Check out the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS84994 - APJ file not generated when creating new project on network (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=5015381&linkID=2476059)

Have a good one, Mike

I've seen that one..it restates my question but doesn't really offer a solution. Their solution is to move my projects..With over 100Gb of projects that is really not a workable solution. My computer and server is not in a Workgroup, they are in the same Windows Domain..so "binding" them is not a solution either..
I have tried creating the Project locally and moving to the network, but that does not work either..
Seems like with all the Linux Gurus in the world, this would not be a problem..

cbright
2005-02-09, 01:24 PM
I just started with ADT 2005 and have a Nitix server. Nitix is an autonomic network server that implements Linux. I have had a problem with ADT and have not found a solution yet. The Linux server is not allowing the automatic creation of .apj files when creating a new project. I am still looking for a fix..if you have one, I'd appreciate it..If you have not implemented this yet, you may wanna research it first..I have over 100Gb of projects on a server that is not gonna work for 2005...unless I can find a fix..

C.

Mike.Perry
2005-02-09, 01:29 PM
Hi

Please note I've merged your thread from the ADT 2005 Forum with the one here.

Why? - So people coming to offer assistance / help can see the complete picture....

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

hand471037
2005-02-09, 05:02 PM
C, is it Linux or Nitrix that you think it the issue? Could you, say, install a freebie Linux on a test station, one like Mandrake that includes an easy Samba setup, so you could then try to create the .apj file on Linux but not under Nitrix?

cbright
2005-02-09, 08:25 PM
C, is it Linux or Nitrix that you think it the issue? Could you, say, install a freebie Linux on a test station, one like Mandrake that includes an easy Samba setup, so you could then try to create the .apj file on Linux but not under Nitrix?

Clarification: The server is not Nitrix, it is Nitix..www.nitix.com. It is a server from Net Integrations with an "autonomic" linux implementation..I am not really sure what that means, but I know it is not working for me..

Carlos

hand471037
2005-02-09, 09:14 PM
looking at the website, it looks like this breed of Linux does a lot of stuff for you automatically. Is it possible that the .apj file, for whatever reason, is being thought of by your server as something that the security system doesn't allow? Like it's deleting it or something immedately upon creation? Can you make any file an .apj?

Reading that Autodesk bug report, it looks like you might be in trouble. I'd start yelling at Autodesk about making a product that can't deal with a non-Windows server. I don't know anything about ADT 2005, but could you at least have the .apj files hosted somewhere else, like on a Windows box, and everything else on the server for the time being?

JasonSelf
2005-02-09, 09:29 PM
bforsyth,
back to your original question, I manage a network using Samba on Linux as a primary domain controller, and also have the files served from this server. Its a redhat 8.0 box with Samba 3.0 on it and it works great. You can even do Network Licensing with Linux. If you need any "hands on" type help with it just drop me a line and I will be glad to walk you through some things, It was a couple of little configuration problems that caused any and all difficulty I had getting things started, and something free like Debian Gnu/Linux would work fine if you don't have the funds to drop $700+ on Redhat Linux Enterprise Server (Fortunately no per-client licensing)

Good Luck,
Jason Self

RobertAitken
2005-02-10, 04:00 PM
You shouldn't have any problems using linux/samba on a NT network. There are some problems with Samba as a PDC mainly if it does get used enough. Don;t have a Samba PDC for 3 users.

As for storage it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't use AutoCAD but all my other settings are saved to the linux box through samba no problem.

Check out your dealer that you bought the linux box from for advice failing that google it and see what comes up.

Robert Aitken