PDA

View Full Version : Piping

diesellam
2010-02-19, 05:00 PM
My plumbing consultant, he only provides the 2d information. I'm planning to convert his 2d cad info into a 3d revit model.

At my company, we have both Revit Archtiecture and MEP 2010. Is it worthy for me to spend the time to learn the MEP to do the piping?

What I did before at the other company is to use the Revit Architecture, using the extrusion and sweep to do the piping layout.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

bclarch
2010-02-19, 05:24 PM
You might want to post in the MEP forum as well. MEP users might not check this forum regularly.

nancy.mcclure
2010-02-19, 09:26 PM
David, it depends upon what you need the 3D model for - if only for visualization and perhaps a pass at hard-clash detection, then you COULD get away with modeling it as simply mass in RArch. If you want the modeling to be more efficient, to eventually schedule and/or calculate systems flows, or to leverage any of the discipline specific tools, than do it in RMEP. There is a learning curve to modeling with piping components, but I believe that would be balanced by the tedium of trying to model them as masses in RArch.

HTH