PDA

View Full Version : Same dwg linked into multiple views

t1.shep
2010-02-19, 06:27 PM
I'm trying to link (not import) a .dwg into multiple views. The .dwg is a single file that as all the elevations drawn in one file. So I need to show this file in all my elevation views in Revit. If I link the dwg into the South view and "Link" and then check "show in current view only", and then go to a perpendicular elevation like the East and then try to do the same thing it says "cannot load linked file" and says I've already put one instance of the file in the project and it won't be visible, do I want to create a new instance and reload the link? I say continue and it tries to place the link in the view it was first inserted in (South).
How in the world to I get it so that I can place a dwg in as many different views as I want?

sbrown
2010-02-19, 06:36 PM
This is not going to work well for you. If you are going to do your interior elevations in cad(bad move, but you're allready there). the "right" way is to have a single file for each elevaton and link that in to each revit view. The best way is to set up your elevations sheets in revit, export those sheets, revit will create the individual elevation files for you, have your cad users edit those and then xref them back into revit. But the pain you will have using dwg elevations is way more than its worth. You really can teach peope to draft and use filled regions in revit in much less time than you will spend trying to get good looking prints with your ID elevations in cad. You will have problems with dims disappearing, text, hatch issues. They just aren't worth it. You'll see...

Enjoy.

t1.shep
2010-02-19, 06:43 PM
I agree.
However, in this case, I'm modeling a building that has already been completed in CAD and we are just creating a model for Daylighting studies. So that's the only reason I need to do it this way.

sbrown
2010-02-19, 08:13 PM
You will have to wblock out each individual elevation for the best results.

t1.shep
2010-02-19, 08:28 PM
bummer. What's the logic behind the inability to place the same file multiple times? Can I import (instead of link) the same file multiple times in different views?

eric.piotrowicz
2010-02-19, 08:39 PM
Links are located by coordinates within the model whereas imports are stand alone objects. If a file is linked to the north elevation it is oriented that direction and can not understand a second orientation for the east elevation and a third for the south and so on...