PDA

View Full Version : Calculated Value in Schedule Problem

frustratedtonoend
2010-02-19, 07:23 PM
I am creating a door schedule. We have pairs of doors, and pairs of doors with uneven leaves. I am having problems getting a calculated value with and "If" statement to appear in a schedule. Here's what I did step by step. Forgive the length, images wouldn't really help here.

1) I created a shared length parameters in a project template called "Leaf 1 Width" and "Leaf 2 Width" and added them to the Project Parameters only to the Door category.

2) I brought these 2 parameters into my uneven leaf door family and labeled each leaf dimension with the corresponding shared parameter.

3) I put a formula in the default "Width" paramater: "=Leaf 1 Width + Leaf 2 Width" (no quotes in the actual formula)

4) I created a door schedule in the template and added the door parameters "Width", "Leaf 1 Width", and "Leaf 2 Width"

5) I created a Calculated Value called "Leaf1Override". I made it a length type and used the formula "If (Leaf 1 Width = Width, Width, Leaf 1 Width)"

I added some doors, single and the uneven leaf to test the schedule. Leaf1Overide in the schedule displayed correctly for the uneven doors, but was blank for the single door. It should have shown 3'-0" since that was the width, and width is the result-if-false condition it the formula. Why won't it perform the calculation and display the correct result?

I even tried other formulas, to no avail, such as (if Width>Leaf 1 Width, Leaf 1 Width, Width). I then tried a simple formula as a test, "=Width". That worked fine. It seems to me that If-Statements are not supported in calculated values in schedules. Is this true? If not, what is wrong with my syntax?

nancy.mcclure
2010-02-19, 08:11 PM
3) I put a formula in the default "Width" paramater: "=Leaf 1 Width + Leaf 2 Width" (no quotes in the actual formula)

4) I created a door schedule in the template and added the door parameters "Width", "Leaf 1 Width", and "Leaf 2 Width"

5) I created a Calculated Value called "Leaf1Override". I made it a length type and used the formula "If (Leaf 1 Width = Width, Width, Leaf 1 Width)"

I believe the problem is that your Width is now a calculated value of 2 other parameters, and once placed into another formula, it's becoming confused. Nix on using CVs in a formula, but boy howdy I wish we could...

nancy.mcclure
2010-02-19, 08:19 PM
Thought I'd follow up with a workaround to your situation, although it involves some manual management: Create ANOTHER Width parameter (w/ slight name difference) that can have the system-derived value of your Width TYPED into. That manually-transfered width parameter can be applied to your formula. Yep, manual = messy, but would work with your method. Otherwise, look into nested/shared families to report the panel widths.