PDA

View Full Version : Window family vs. Curtain Wall

mmiles
2010-02-19, 08:19 PM
my project has several schematic design iterations that have caused us to insert curtain walls and mullions as a way to quickly place glazed areas into walls. An example of this is found in a small library space, that sits like an appendage to a main building. this space is to have a clear storey of windows on all 6 sides of the space.

We intend to use a specific window manufacturer, though we find place a strip of curtain wall much faster to model, and manipulate while going thru daily changes. Now that we have entered design development the question is this: Do we take the time to replace the curtain panels with window families, or is there a way to still translate the number of Marvin window units (and the respective size and spacing) while maintaining the curtain wall.

Since we don't use actual curtain walls in our projects my experience with curtain panel scheduling is limited. My main concern is being able to schedule them accurately, and I am not sure what I should be mindful of doing. Any suggestions would be welcome. As well, I am curious if others are doing the same thing when modeling, a house, for example.

thanks.

nancy.mcclure
2010-02-19, 08:57 PM
I typically recommend that CWs as windows be used schematically, and be replaced out with developed window elements moving forward, but in cases where that isn't possible (modeling skill or deadline restrictions), you could try creating a CW panel family with the embedded info of your Marvin window unit, and creating a CW Panel Schedule that you simply rename to be your clerstory window schedule.

NOTE: Width and Height here are for the PANELS, which would not reflect the mullion sizes that ultimately need to be included to represent your full window unit size - a workaround could be a Calculated Value Width and Height that adds in those dimensions.

HTH

sthedens
2010-02-19, 09:28 PM
Everyone on this forum who has posted on this topic in the past has a slightly different take on this issue.

There are certain things you can do if they are windows that you can't do if they are curtain walls. e.g., Legend Component elevation views.

Curtain walls have their benefits too. They're just so easy to manipulate in a model. Whereas with windows your dealing with the family editor, which some people struggle with.

You can make a curtain wall schedule that matches your window schedule. The problem is if you have both schedules in your project. Then you have some windows displaying in one schedule, while others are in the other schedule. This would probably drive a contractor nuts.

From a BIM standpoint, they should be windows, since that's what they really are.

sbrown
2010-02-19, 09:37 PM
If it is repeatative(punched opening) I suggest a window because its much easier to change all instances as the design developes. Curtain walls are great for custom conditions. I think of it similiar to "in-place families" and component families.

One offs use curtain walls, repeatative assemblies are better as window or door families. Also because you can add trim too them.

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-02-20, 05:14 AM
As is the case with most things Revit, very few 'absolute' right and wrong approaches. More a case of what you need to do and what you want to see.
One other issue with curtain walls is the lack of control over jamb returns at walls with no 'wall closure' option available.

mmiles
2010-02-22, 02:07 PM
yeah, the thing with my particular example is that the curtain wall (clerestory) sits directly ontop of a wall made by selecting the face of an angled mass family. The architect in charge actually wants the stud walls to be set at a angle out of true 90 (which raises other issues about how windows get placed in those walls, too). The curtain wall seems to have grown out of the process of custom, in-place construction. howeveer, the tool then was used throughout the project in similar, (yet typical constructions) as a way to be quick. Now the dude is questioning why I am concerned about it - since it looks like a window. There are a few examples where some odd shapes are being employed - like jambs that are angled, creating a wedge shaped window...

My gut tells me that I need to make custom windows. thanks for the input.

cliff collins
2010-02-22, 02:19 PM
see this thread for some lively discussion.......................

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=1002311#post1002311

cheers