PDA

View Full Version : 3D view issues

dzatto
2010-02-23, 08:58 PM
Noob to Revit. Just started doing the tutorials in Paul Aubin's book "Mastering Revit Architecture 2010". Here's the issue:

I went through a few chapters. Drew an existing building. When I looked at the 3D view in shade mode, all of the windows and doors were gray just like the walls. I can see the frames and glass, etc. But it's solid gray. I looked at the tutorial model on the disc, and you can see the wood frame and clear glass.

I copied the entire drawing that I was having trouble with into a new template, which fixed the problem. All the doors and windows show correctly. My question is what did I screw up in the first place to make the doors and windows solid gray? It's almost like they didn't cut correclty into the wall, but they looked fine in plan view.

Unfortunately, I saved the corrected file over the messed up one, so I can't post it.

cliff collins
2010-02-23, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the Revit world!

I'll try to help solve this one:

I believe it is all grey because the Phase is set to Existing?
( you mentioned it is an "existing building".........

Another reason it may be all grey is if all the Materials are set to "default".

cheers.........

dzatto
2010-02-23, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the Revit world!

I'll try to help solve this one:

I believe it is all grey because the Phase is set to Existing?
( you mentioned it is an "existing building".........

Another reason it may be all grey is if all the Materials are set to "default".

cheers.........
That might have something to do with it. I was messing with phasing but don't really know what I did. :lol:

After years and years of using Autocad ACA, I'm used to knowing what's going on and figuring almost anything out. Not being able to do so in Revit yet really sucks!

Thanks for your help. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot of questions from me. :beer:

dzatto
2010-02-23, 11:11 PM
Update:
Yep, phasing was the problem. All the doors and windows were on existing, which is correct. The problem was the 3D view was set to New Construction. I set the view to existing and everything displays correctly.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :beer:

cliff collins
2010-02-24, 01:50 PM
Glad it's working for you!

Phases are powerful, but a bit tricky, and often overlooked when troubleshooting
a display issue such as yours.

cheers.....