PDA

View Full Version : Revit 'sub-link' ?

Bryan Thatcher
2010-02-24, 09:01 PM
Under the visibility graphics>Revit Links, all of the links have a + to expand them. What is this secondary link for. Is one per views and the other global? Thanks.

cliff collins
2010-02-24, 09:16 PM
I believe this additional check box is for each "instance" of the Link.

If a link gets copied, a new check box would appear. There can be multiple instances of
a link in a project.

Not sure of this--just a hunch which I have not confirmed inside Revit........

cheers

m20roxxers
2010-02-24, 11:06 PM
Cliff your right :)

Great for Master planning for Residential work as the copies can be placed and each one can have different VG Link settings that connect back to the linked model.

Also they can be mirrored and various design options can be shown and the documentation flips pretty well too in my opinion.

cliff collins
2010-02-25, 02:28 PM
Nice!

I thought that was how it worked--haven't done any huge Master Planned projects
like that for quite a while. Nice use of "instances" of Linked models.

cheers.........

Bryan Thatcher
2010-02-25, 03:13 PM
Where are the copies coming from? Are they generated automatically? And how do I get rid of them? Thanks.

Scott Womack
2010-02-25, 08:31 PM
There will always be one, it gets generated automatically. You can't get rid of it without removing the link entirely. You can ignore it, if there is only one. If there is more than one, then someone is doing something they should not be doing (unless it is intentional to have multiple instances).

jameshands
2010-07-21, 05:21 PM
If there is more than one, then someone is doing something they should not be doing (unless it is intentional to have multiple instances).

Pardon my revival of an ancient thread but:

What is it that someone is doing wrong? Is it on the link source or destination side? The linker or the linkee? "HOW are these duplicates created?", I guess is what I'm asking.

The architect on my project is linking my structure into their hundreds of views, and suddenly they have these multiple sublinks in their model. Every view is essentially destroyed. Can the damage be undone?

James

eric.piotrowicz
2010-07-21, 07:08 PM
If there are multiple sub links of your project in their project it is because someone on their end has copied your linked file in their project. They now have two or more instances of your project in theirs. Just have them figure out which copy is correct and delete the other incorrect ones. If using shared coordinates look in VG under Revit Links, the correct one will still say (Internal) next to the sub link and the others would say (not shared) next to the sub link.