PDA

View Full Version : Mullions on Mass Using Curtain System

mrice.47661
2010-02-25, 08:30 PM
I may be missing something very obvious here ... but does anyone know how I can get a curtain system that is generated off of an in-place mass family to understand I want 1 mullion at a joint versus 2 (in Revit 2010)?

I would think that a border condition would exist only at the farthest edges of my curtain system where there are no other adjacent panels, but instead its occurring at the edge of each panel.

Do I actually have to model the mass using curved profiles and let Revit do the segmentation for me? This would be a bit of pain. I'm hoping there's a better way.

A quick image of what I'm looking at is attached.

sbrown
2010-02-25, 09:57 PM
you just delete one of them.

cliff collins
2010-02-25, 10:33 PM
My 2 cents worth:

1. The shape of the mass doesn't look complex enough to justify creating a Mass
and converting faces to curtain systems. i.e. just build it will "normal" curtainwalls.
( Unless the faces are not vertical and are actually sloped/canted? ) if so, see below.

2. Scott's idea is OK; however you will end up having 2 curtain grids right next to each other,
and neither of them actually "centered" on the facet/vertex. Plus that's a lot of manual
"deleting" mullions and curtain grids, esp. if that became a 20-40 story tower! Not an efficient workflow.

3. So--try creating a new Mass using the Conceptual Massing tools, and then "dividing"
the surfaces and then creating the curtain system.

cheers......

mrice.47661
2010-02-26, 01:28 AM
Cliff ... the panels are actually sloping outwards, all at different angles (just to make it more interesting), so unfortunately the geometry is complex enough to cause a headache. I may give the conceptual modeling environment a go, but I'm a little dubious that my results will be any different.

Scott ... I have been investigating your approach ... though it has the downsides that Cliff touched on. It also involves generating a custom mullion for the offset & rotation between each panel. Since the variables aren't all that extensive, I'll probably only need to do about 6 of them, and then mirror them ... but its still a bit of a pain.

This volume, while not entirely all that complex - seems to give Revit trouble. Thank goodness the keys to the sloping column tool were unlocked in the last subscription pack - or we'd up a creek without a paddle there as well. I realize there are workarounds ... eventually I may revert to just importing some solid sweep geometry from a better modeler - but I really wish I could keep it all within Revit for the obvious reasons. I'll cross my fingers that the conceptual massing environment may give me better results.