PDA

View Full Version : Views

dzatto
2010-03-02, 05:04 PM
I tried to search, but nothing came up. So here's my question:

In ACAD Architecture I can set up different views in model space. So if I needed to look at 2 different areas of the same plan, I can split my screen to do it.

Is there any way to do this in Revit? I know I can open and several drawings and tile them, but can I have 2 views of the same drawing?

wmullett
2010-03-02, 05:40 PM
Confused.... When you say plan, you mean a view with 2D annotations - right? Because you can have multiple plan views of the model.

So assuming you mean an annotated plan view, have you looked at dependent views?

dzatto
2010-03-02, 05:50 PM
Confused.... When you say plan, you mean a view with 2D annotations - right? Because you can have multiple plan views of the model.

So assuming you mean an annotated plan view, have you looked at dependent views?
Nope, never heard of them! I guess I should say I've been on Revit a week. I'm coming over from 15 years of Acad and Acad Architecture.

When I say plan, I mean any drawing. I guess plan is the wrong term. But, in Acad, when in model space (where all the drawing is done) I can set up different views. For example, I can split my screens to show two vertical, two horizontal. Three on the left, one on the right. Pretty much whatever I want. Inside of the view, I can zoom wherever, rotate it to 3D, shade it differently.

I know I have different plan views of the model, but, for instance, there is only one floor plan. So how would I look at the first floor plan top right corner AND the bottom left corner at my screen at the same time?

cliff collins
2010-03-02, 06:05 PM
Go to View>Window tab>Tile

That should do it.

cheers

wmullett
2010-03-02, 06:29 PM
You can have as many model floor plans as you want. Just duplicate the plan view. BUT!!! These are model views of the plan. And so you could tile these views.

As I said, If you want to see annotations, those are 2D elements and they are view specific. So to have two views of the same annotative plan, you need a dependent view. You can read about Dependent views in your help.

twiceroadsfool
2010-03-02, 06:31 PM
If i understand your question correctly, yes, you can open a view more than once at the same time. You can have "10-Floor Plan-New" opened twice. When you have it that way, theyll show in the view drop down as "10-Floor Plan-New:1" and "10-Floor Plan-New:2".

For me it happens mostly on accident when im telling views to find referring views, haha.

cliff collins
2010-03-02, 06:33 PM
If I understand it right:

By combining the methods in all of these posts, you can:

1. Make dependent views
2. Make "duplicate with detailing" views
3. Use "tile" to view them all at the same time.

cheers......

twiceroadsfool
2010-03-02, 06:35 PM
Unless i misunderstood, he just wants to have "a floor plan" opened twice, so he can be zoomed in to two different areas. No need to duplicate or make a dependant.

Just open the view and hit the "replicate" button in the View ribbon. Its the SAME view, not a duplicate, not a dependant. But you have it opened twice, so you can be on opposite ends of the building youre working on... But in the same drawing.

cliff collins
2010-03-02, 06:39 PM
yep.........

I think you have it right.

cheers

wmullett
2010-03-02, 07:07 PM
Aaron ... I had not seen that new one. Always learning.

twiceroadsfool
2010-03-02, 07:36 PM
I had never done it on purpose until the 2010 Ribbon put it front and center on the screen. When i was getting acclimated i clicked it to see what it did, LOL.

But a lot of times when im editing families and reloading them, ill go to the Switch Windows list and inadvertantly have 2 of the same thing opened.

It makes working on large projects (geography wise) a Godsend. :)

dzatto
2010-03-02, 08:38 PM
Unless i misunderstood, he just wants to have "a floor plan" opened twice, so he can be zoomed in to two different areas. No need to duplicate or make a dependant.

Just open the view and hit the "replicate" button in the View ribbon. Its the SAME view, not a duplicate, not a dependant. But you have it opened twice, so you can be on opposite ends of the building youre working on... But in the same drawing.
AHHh that sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info. I'm used to being in the same drawing in 2 different "views" in Autocad (not the same as Revit views). That's why I run 3 monitors. :mrgreen: