PDA

View Full Version : Columns losing References

sfaust
2004-12-02, 06:09 PM
OK, we have a bit of a strange situation. We have a set of columns that seems to have semi-lost it's references. Allow me to explain:

the two outer columns in the attached file were placed and dimensioned with no problems. However, when we try to place any new dimensions, the column centerline is not available for dimensioning. The reference is obviously still there, as there is still a dimension snapped to it :screwy: . I know that it is snapped to the column since I can select the column and the dimension becomes live, but I can't put a new dimension on it.

Furthermore, when I place an identical column (same type, same top constraints, etc. - even using create similar) it will dimension correctly (see the center column in the attached file)... :screwy:. So does anyone know why this would be, or is this a case to send to support?

p.s. I also noticed that the new columns are showing the outermost circle in plan, which actually is above the cut plane, so it shouldn't display. :screwy:

tamas
2004-12-02, 07:44 PM
Steve,

It is a known bug that will be fixed in Revit 8. In current Revit versions once the column is joined to something (usually auto-joined to a wall), it looses pieces that are not part of the solid shape, like the reference planes you mentioned.
Moreover, unjoining does not help either. Once joined, references are lost...

I think your only option is to recreate the columns that lost their refs.
But make sure the new column is not automatically joined to walls:
You can modify the column family by unchecking the family parameter "Automatically Joins Geometry" in the family editor under Settings/Family Category.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Tamas

sfaust
2004-12-02, 08:58 PM
ok, that's not too big of a deal, good to know though. At least I know I'm not losing it ;)