PDA

View Full Version : couple of easy questions

donot_4get
2010-03-04, 01:34 PM
1. how do I eliminate the "UP" "DN" from the stairs in the site plan? (the stairs are linked and inside a group)
http://i48.tinypic.com/ifq4x1.jpg

I tried in the Visibility/Graphics override, but I have no clue what I'm doing

http://i50.tinypic.com/28bu25f.jpg

2. The structure is going to be CMU with Reinforce concrete walls/ columns. I have been creating all my concrete columns as if they were walls... is that okay?

http://i47.tinypic.com/2h72xjn.jpg

It seems that the exterior walls have an exterior and an interior side... if both sides look the same... does it matter if they are inverted?

3.By doing the walls like I explained, creates divisions / lines showing where the materials meet in my elevations... how could I fix that?

http://i46.tinypic.com/6536nq.jpg

4. How am I suppose to create driveways / parking-lots!? Do I have some tool that creates driveways like I create walls or do I need to model them like 3d objects? or lines??

thanks a lot!!

SCShell
2010-03-04, 01:57 PM
Hey there and welcome to the forum!
1. Stair labels are controlled in the stair's element dialog box. Hover over the stair until it highlights and then right click to get the elements properties. It is either a type or instance property....can't remember off hand.... Simply uncheck "visible" .

2. No. Model Columns as columns.

3. Yes it matters. Always orient walls correctly so that they join properly as well as look correct; however, that being said....Revit has always had a problem with what you are seeing. The work a round is to use the "line tool" and set the line type to "invisible" and then click on the offending lines.

4. Use the site tools (yuk) or, if you have very little slope or a simple slope design, use the "floor" tools and set materials to asphalt, and modify slopes with the modify tool.

Best of luck! And, remember....model it the way you are going to build it.
Steve

pwmsmith
2010-03-04, 02:21 PM
donot,

What part of the country are you in?

donot_4get
2010-03-04, 03:09 PM
donot,

What part of the country are you in?

Puerto Rico (i'll try to update my profile soon)

pwmsmith
2010-03-04, 04:45 PM
I was from South Florida and we did a lot of reinforced masonry. I would think our masonry construction should be similar. Depending who you talk to you could get as many answers. If you are modeling wall columns what are you going to do with the beams? Concrete beams are part of your wall system so you would need to place walls above and/or below your beams. Lots of modeling.
We tended to model the walls as a whole and use either detail components for columns and filled cells or use a generic model with an embed detail component and a vertical invisible line extended above the cut plane so it will show. Beams were hidden lines on the face of elevations and detail components in section (at least for architectural). If you have a structural engineer providing you a model -maybe think differentlly.The other decision you will need to make is, will the columns be architectural (will clean-up will architectural walls) or structural columns (will not clean-up with architectural walls). Extra work cleaning up elevations.
Shell is correct that we model the same as we build but sometimes not always.
Hope this helps and not confuses.

Pat

Captainkb
2010-03-04, 05:46 PM
#3 Join Geometry to get ride of lines that overlap objects, last resort is linework tool.

Door Family: swing representation is set up as a model line and it should be a symbolic line so it does not show in 3d.

donot_4get
2010-03-04, 05:57 PM
1. Stair labels are controlled in the stair's element dialog box. Hover over the stair until it highlights and then right click to get the elements properties. It is either a type or instance property....can't remember off hand.... Simply uncheck "visible"

If I do that it not only disappear from the site plan, but it also disappear from the floor plans... what should I do? add some type of txt on the floor plans saying up/down?

I was from South Florida and we did a lot of reinforced masonry. I would think our masonry construction should be similar. Depending who you talk to you could get as many answers. If you are modeling wall columns what are you going to do with the beams? Concrete beams are part of your wall system so you would need to place walls above and/or below your beams. Lots of modeling.
We tended to model the walls as a whole and use either detail components for columns and filled cells or use a generic model with an embed detail component and a vertical invisible line extended above the cut plane so it will show. Beams were hidden lines on the face of elevations and detail components in section (at least for architectural). If you have a structural engineer providing you a model -maybe think differentlly.The other decision you will need to make is, will the columns be architectural (will clean-up will architectural walls) or structural columns (will not clean-up with architectural walls). Extra work cleaning up elevations.
Shell is correct that we model the same as we build but sometimes not always.
Hope this helps and not confuses.

Pat

Pat, I just moved from Miami two months ago... So yes, we are talking about the same type of construction.

If you are modeling wall columns what are you going to do with the beams?
lol, I have no clue (I haven't gone that far yet)... and yes, it sounds like a lot of work/modeling.

We tended to model the walls as a whole and use either detail components for columns and filled cells or use a generic model with an embed detail component and a vertical invisible line extended above the cut plane so it will show. Beams were hidden lines on the face of elevations and detail components in section
I'm just starting to learn revit on my own and that sounds pretty complicated. I don't even know where to start asking to accomplish what you just said :P

No, the structural eng. will not be working in BIM.

The columns are structural and will be covered with stucco

pwmsmith
2010-03-04, 06:39 PM
Personally I did not model filled cells or wall columns. If the columns are free standing, yes use columns. The simplest way to start for now is to use 'detail components' (2d items-just line work) and place them in the corners and at the correct spacing along the wall. Same for filled cells. If you need to place them on multiple views just grab all of them in a view and copy/paste align in the new view.
I am enclosing a simple filled cell and column for your to look at or use. If you would like you call call me via phone, just e-mail me at pwmsmith@comcast.net and I will send you my number.

pwmsmith
2010-03-04, 07:51 PM
Here is the other method I described using a generic model. Look at the parameter for height and as long as it cuts the floor plane above it will be visible on that level.

p.s._There are many other ways to model columns and these two methods are basic.

Patrick

SCShell
2010-03-08, 02:27 PM
If I do that it not only disappear from the site plan, but it also disappear from the floor plans... what should I do? add some type of txt on the floor plans saying up/down?

Here is a screen shot of the elements dialog bog. Check or uncheck the Arrow and Label for Up and Down.

Buena Suerte
Steve