PDA

View Full Version : How to build 2-D Furniture Family

mr6jam
2010-03-04, 04:05 PM
I would like to build a 2-D Furniture Family (see attached image), which will be able to flex the tables to different sizes. I know for the most part how to go about it but I would like to ask when I go to File/New/Family, which template should I start out with?

All I need is for the family to be 2-D (small file size) and it does not have to be wall hosted or floor hosted. I think it could just float, then we will align it against walls etc. Then there should be one text label that can be edited.

Does anyone have any suggestion on a good starting method for this?

mwenta
2010-03-04, 04:39 PM
Use the 'Furniture.rft' template and create it like you wouold a 3D family. Meaning using ref planes/lines as needed with parameters associated with any dimensions so that you can flex them. Should work fine,if you understand the concept of family creation you should have no problems at all.

mr6jam
2010-03-04, 05:02 PM
Why use 3-D Family for a 2-D use?

Would you use symbol ines or Model?

sthedens
2010-03-04, 05:50 PM
Use symbolic lines if you only want it to show in view parallel to the view you're drawing in.

For example, if you are drawing lines that show the footprint of the furniture on the floor plan, draw symbolic lines on the Floor Plan Ref. View within the Family Editor.

Model lines will show in every view, including 3D views.

Symbolic or Model lines can be aligned and locked to reference planes just like 3D elements can.

By using the Furniture.rft family template you will ensure that the element will be categorized as Furniture.

mwenta
2010-03-04, 07:08 PM
It's not a true 3D family until you create actual physical geometry. As 'sthedens' stated use symbolic or model lines. He does a nice job of explaining the difference between the two.

nancy.mcclure
2010-03-04, 07:30 PM
also, model lines don't provide the embedded data that the .rte gives the family (whether 2D or 3D), nor allow full scheduling capabilities.

I advise lots of new Revit users to create 2D content using the appropriate family templates until they take the next step in their knowledge of massing. Otherwise, people feel stopped in their tracks bc they can't find the appropriate 3D family to load in.

sthedens
2010-03-04, 08:02 PM
also, model lines don't provide the embedded data that the .rte gives the family (whether 2D or 3D), nor allow full scheduling capabilities.

I think mr6jam is referring to working in the family editor when they are referencing Model Lines vs. Symbolic Lines, see thumbnails. As opposed to Model Lines vs. Detail Lines when you're working in a project.