PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone decipher this crashed journal file?

patricks
2010-03-04, 09:57 PM
We have a new employee prospect trying out Revit at home. I don't know too much about the machine it's being used on, other than it's a WinXP 32-bit machine with 3 GB RAM and HW Accel turned OFF. User keeps getting fatal error message a few minutes after launching the program and I believe trying to start the tutorials.

I regularly run Revit 2010 on my home machine which has WinXP 32-bit and only 2 GB RAM and it runs fine there, with an nVIDIA Quadro FX540 graphics card. It's a bit slow but I don't get fatal errors or crashes on mine.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-03-04, 10:17 PM
I don't know what else is running on that machine but the lines from the crash event lead me to think they ran out of memory. At the bottom of the file when the crash occured it states the RAM stats and the Total exceeds the Available in both virtual and physical memory. The DeltaforRevit value is only 650MB physical and 425MB virtual so I'm inclined to think that there are some other memory hog programs running at the same time but I'm definitely no expect in this area.

matt354598
2010-03-05, 04:13 AM
Couple of things:

First, tell him to upgrade his Windows XP to Service Pack 3.

Second, update this installation of Revit to the latest service/update pack. The build number should be 20090925_1815.

Third, his video card driver is WAY out of date. Tell him to get the latest one here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_196.21_whql.html

Fourth, tell him to remove or disable startup programs, particularly virus scanners. Use MSCONFIG > Startup tab to uncheck as many things as possible.

-Matt