PDA

View Full Version : Removing part of a wall component

dzatto
2010-03-07, 03:59 AM
How would I go about removing the wall component shown in the attached image? In ACA I could extrude a solid and use a boolean to subtract a certain wall component. I don't think this exists in Revit, but I could be wrong. Is my only option to use 2 different walls?

dbaldacchino
2010-03-07, 05:41 AM
4 options in order of personal preference:

I suspect that wall is modeled as having brick on the exterior and interior that wraps. Instead I would model with brick only on one side and the backup as one wall, then I would do another wall for brick veneer alone. This way you can terminate the veneer where you need it.
Use the Edit Cut Profile tool to modify the representation of the wall in that plan view only for detailing purposes. Quantities won't be affected and thus would over-estimate.
Use an in-place family of the wall category that has a void extrusion to cover the volume of brick you want to cut out. Then use the Cut Geometry tool before finishing the family to remove that portion of wall you don't need.
You can mask it in your view with a masking region. Similar to #2, your quantities won't be affected and thus would over-estimate.

twiceroadsfool
2010-03-07, 07:22 PM
All of Davids options are solid. You can also have another wall type that has the Backup and the brick on ONE side, split the wall at the intersecting piece, and switch the lower portion to the wall with brick on one side only. Its 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

1. I would do that (split wall, two wall types) as the first option.
2. Davids number 1 (veneer as second wall type)
3. Davids number 3 (the in place void to cut the wall)
4. Davids number 2 (Edit cut profile... But only if youre not doing QTO)
5. Davids number 4 (masking region) although theres no good reason for doing it since we have edit cut profile.

EDIT: I take back the no good reason. ECP has limitations, and you have a T intersection, meaning the portion on the bottom will have a seperate "sketch" than the brick veneer on the top. So you cant ELIMINATE it, you can make it a tiny sliver that doesnt print though. Friggin annoying. Or, edit the wall join so its a continuous wall, THEN ECP.

ECP has its uses, but man its annoying...

dzatto
2010-03-07, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm so new to Revit (and am teaching myself), so some of your suggestions are still a mystery to me! I wound up doing what Aaron suggested and just made 2 walls. It works perfectly. :beer:

dbaldacchino
2010-03-08, 04:38 AM
I think our Number 1s are the same lol! Glad you found a solution.

twiceroadsfool
2010-03-08, 07:39 AM
I think our Number 1s are the same lol! Glad you find a solution.

Great minds.... and all that ;)

dzatto
2010-03-08, 06:03 PM
I think our Number 1s are the same lol! Glad you find a solution.
Yep, you are correct. You beat Aaron with the correct response. :lol:

twiceroadsfool
2010-03-08, 08:09 PM
Yep, you are correct. You beat Aaron with the correct response. :lol:

They were *similar.* We disagreed on what each of the two walls should contain. And ill fight Dave to the death next time i see him. And i shall call him neighbor, LOL.

dbaldacchino
2010-03-09, 03:49 PM
Hahaha yeah, don't forgit yer boots!