PDA

View Full Version : Demolition and Room Problem

dgreen.49364
2010-03-08, 06:55 PM
I have a large project with 3 phases, Existing, Demolition and New. I have done it this way numerous times with no issues. On my current project I am having an issue.

If I have two rooms side by side that share a common wall between them, and I demolish that common wall to make one big room, when I create a Room in the New phase, it will only select one of the previous room spaces, rather than both combined spaces. I have never seen this before and it isn't happening everywhere I have this situation, only some of the time.

I have checked every thing I can think of and cannot figure out what is causing this. If I delete the "common" wall from the Existing phase and recreate it in the Existing phase and go thru the whole demolition process all over again, it works out fine and does what it is supposed to.

Anybody run across this?

STHRevit
2010-03-09, 03:47 AM
We have had this issue previously. We narrowed it down to having a separate "demolition" Phase, but if you have used this method before and it works, this might not be your issue.
We don't do that any more. We simply use Phase filters to create our demo plans.

sbrown
2010-03-09, 02:10 PM
I used to allways have a sep. demo phase. However this causes problems because its not the way revit phasing was set up. Merge your demo phase with your new construction.

jeffh
2010-03-09, 02:15 PM
Here is an article on phasing which you might find helpful.

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/10/time-to-phase.html

3dway
2010-04-07, 07:30 PM
I wanted to dig up this topic because I have a project that is phased new and existing. No Demolition phase. I removed this prior to naming rooms.

I want to show demolition on my existing floor plan. To do this, I need to set the view phase to new construction and the filter to previous and new.

I've added a wall cutting up what was one big space in the existing. For my existing/demo view, the rooms obey the areas of the new construction, because my phase is set to new construction but I'm not showing it.

mcantwell
2010-04-07, 10:01 PM
I couldn't find a way to show the existing room names on a demolition plan set up this way.
I resorted to creating a plan view with only the room names visible and overlaying it on the sheet. Its not a good solution as you can wind up in the "room names" view unable to edit the building.
Cropping the "room names" view helps with selecting the main view.
A real solution would be good.

3dway
2010-04-08, 06:04 PM
I've gone back to setting the first phase to phase 1. I've demolished walls in the same phase. These show up nicely with a hatch pattern in them and with a dashed line type.

In doing this, I need to put room dividing lines in to define rooms since one a wall is demolished, it no longer defines a room. This allows me to name rooms in the existing/demo plan.

In order to name rooms in the new plan without those room dividing lines still hanging around, I have to create a "post phase 1" phase, and in that demolish only the room dividing lines, which from what I can tell are basically walls anyway.

Now I can name rooms in my new plan without the old rooms limiting the area of the room.

The problem I'm running into now is:

I have a window which is being replaced. In Phase 1 the window is created and demolished, but when you demo a window, you get that ******* wall infill bit. It hides the window opening and the demo lines in the elevation and 3d views. It seems that when the demo happens in the same phase, you can't select the infilling wall to do something like, override in current view.

LWLyfe
2023-07-27, 01:01 PM
Understanding Rooms:
If any element that would change the parameters of a room (demo or new wall, new door, square-foot change, etc) were to change, the room information would become unstable so the room cannot extend beyond the static phase that it was placed in. If you think about it, every component in Revit is static, but with doors, walls, windows, or any other component, they are placed within a phase and remain unchanged until they are demolished. Any change between phases that would alter the static nature of a room (see above) would destabilize the room.

Setting up a Demo view in Revit 2022:
It is a workaround but the best I've found so far & it works in one view, rather than with multiple layered views:

1. Create a view of the existing phase with the phase filter set to Previous & New.
2. In Visibility/Graphics Overrides (In your view template if you will have multiple demo views), go to the Filters tab. At the bottom, click on the box Edit/New to modify document filters.
3. Create a new Rule-based Filter for each new construction phase of your project, calling it Demolition, or Demolition-Phase 1... (Make sure you have the new Filter set to Define rules).
4. Check every category that you may have items to demolish. (Some categories can't be added because they aren't phase specific)
5. Filter Rules: AND (All rules must be true), All Selected..., Phase Demolished, equals, Phase 1 (or whatever phase you are setting the filter for). Apply/OK.
6. Back at the Filters tab, Add your Demolition filter. Set your overrides in Project/Surface & Cut to show all of your demo items correctly in the view.

Remember: You will want to create a view template set for each phase & view type needed. Each view will be set to the existing or previous phase, allowing the correct rooms to show.