PDA

View Full Version : gbXML export for databases and room data sheets

dfi
2010-03-09, 08:45 AM
I have been trying to find a way to get the information about the walls, floors and ceilings associated with a room to be exported to a database and maintain their relation to be used for room data sheets. I have tried using the RDBlink. This works great for most of the other information, but it does not associate the walls with a room. However, when you look at the information included in the gbXML that can be exported all the rooms have all the walls, floors, roofs and ceilings plus all the doors and windows related to the individual walls within the room. When I look at the raw .xml it has even more information.

The question is how can I use this information in the gbXML in my database and room data sheets?

trombe
2010-03-09, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I am starting on this path also but have run into some problems with variable shaped rooms.
I can export in this format and import the file to a spreadsheet on a web site which can compute such things as thermal efficiencies. We have to prepare energy efficiency calculations for local authority compliance matters. I am working on testing some simple cubist volumes to run some tests.
Also, I might not want to model ceilings all the time.....however no ceilings kills the export and if you need to quickly model a normally non true component item such as a desk = Furniture and make it the desk a floor, Rooms volumes won't work / well they won't be correct as they are defined around this anomaly (for instance)
This means the modelling has to be far more complete than I want to do and the extra work to make it all sweet and nice must be offset against the time to do this reporting otherwise, manually.
trombe

dfi
2010-03-11, 10:57 AM
In the project I would like to try this out almost exclusively cubic rooms are used so, I am not too concerned about different shapes. I am mostly looking at using the information that is contained within the .xml file for a use other that what was intended.

I would be using a more simplified model for exporting to GBS and Ecotect.