PDA

View Full Version : Key Schedule Success?

jaroguy
2010-03-10, 08:11 PM
Has anyone successfully implemented a Key Schedule for a Door Schedule or a Room Finish Schedule? I have never used them so I thought I'd take a look and see what they are all about.

Key Schedules seem very useful at first glance, but the more you look into it there just seems to be too many variables.

I was experimenting with them on a Door Schedule. The only columns I included in the Key were door type, door material, frame type, frame material, head detail, jamb detail, and sill detail. But even with those 7 columns I come up with 14 different key types.

Maybe Key Schedules are better suited for a different type of project.

Thanks,
JG

Eric Stewart
2010-03-10, 10:01 PM
For a project with, oh lets say, 150 offices in which the finishes are identical, then it is a great thing. I guess you need to weigh the benefits and the drawbacks. Never used them for doors. I let the type information drive my door schedules.

twiceroadsfool
2010-03-10, 10:20 PM
For a project with, oh lets say, 150 offices in which the finishes are identical, then it is a great thing. I guess you need to weigh the benefits and the drawbacks. Never used them for doors. I let the type information drive my door schedules.

I use them all the time, for both Room Finish schedules and Door Schedules. Id never do a project without them, unless it was a very small project. :)

Scott Womack
2010-03-11, 12:06 PM
I too use them all of the time, just as Aaron stated. I even have used them on a project with as few as 5 or 6 doors, for consistancy's sake for other people.

That said, I NEVER try to use one Key Schedule for things like doors. In fact I typically use three Key Schedules for doors. This is again for simplicity's sake. Ikeyschedule relates to the door panel. Another relates to the frame's information. The third in effect relates to the walls, in that it lists the Head/Jamb/Sill Details for each type of frame (Wd, Hm, Alum) and the correct detail set for both. This allows keeping each Key Schedule as short as possible, while giving maximum flexibility.

SCShell
2010-03-11, 02:42 PM
Hey there,
I could not imagine doing a Hardware Schedule without using Key Schedules.
Steve

nancy.mcclure
2010-03-11, 09:49 PM
Use 'em all the time - I think of standard schedules as info coming from the building model, whereas key schedules are how to push data (esp. data packages: hardware set, finish options, etc) into the model. Makes for a single dissemination point for the data, for efficiency!

mthurnauer
2010-03-12, 09:20 PM
You can mix using a key schedule for common conditions and then input information for doors that are unique conditions. For a university project, we have used the key to define all of the hardware for: Typical Classroom, Typical Office, Typical Storage, etc. As you go through the door schedule and apply the key, you come across various doors that don't comply with the key so you input the individual parameters for those conditions.