PDA

View Full Version : Section won't cut furniture family

wommack
2010-03-12, 12:42 AM
I have a work plane-based furniture family that I created to model a custom desk. Section views that cut the building through the family don't cut the family, they show the family "in elevation" as though the family was beyond the section cut line. Everything else is cut as expected. What's up with this? Is there something about an extrusion that affects Revit's ability to cut the family? (the desk is made primarily of extrusions.)

Alex Page
2010-03-12, 12:57 AM
Its because its in the "furniture" category - this is how revit works
The families are described in the help file, with a listing of which ones do, and which ones do not cut

wommack
2010-03-12, 01:19 AM
Thanks. You're right.

But I'm left pondering why Revit would make any family non-cuttable. I'm looking at the list and there are many family types listed that I would want to see cut in a section, and I'm having trouble thinking of a good reason I'd not want a family to cut. I would think that at the very least it should be an option. Or is there some hidden function in Revit that precludes this?

Gadget Man
2010-03-13, 08:04 AM
... I would think that at the very least it should be an option...

OPTION??? In Revit??? Oh, no!!!! What a revolutionary (and dangerous) thought!!! That would be too easy for us... The Big Brother knows better what's good for ya...

In fact, there are so many different tools and functions in Revit that scream for having a user option in them that I lost the count. For years now many users have been begging the Factory to let us choose what we want in various situations - so far - in most cases, the answer (or lack of it) amounts to: "no way!"

JRhodes2811
2017-04-27, 10:27 PM
Thanks. You're right.

But I'm left pondering why Revit would make any family non-cuttable. I'm looking at the list and there are many family types listed that I would want to see cut in a section, and I'm having trouble thinking of a good reason I'd not want a family to cut. I would think that at the very least it should be an option. Or is there some hidden function in Revit that precludes this?

Just change your family type to "Generic Model". Easy way to cheat the system in most cases.