PDA

View Full Version : I am having trouble creating a Doric column

bcreehan
2010-03-17, 07:11 PM
I am having trouble creating a Doric column.
I created a profile of the column, then created a new family to create the column. I am trying to load the profile into the family and revolve it, but I do not see an option anywhere to do load the profile. Also, the revolve tool is somewhat confusing to me.

If there is a better way to do this please let me know. At the end of the day, I just need to create this column.

Thanks!

cliff collins
2010-03-17, 07:21 PM
Does this help?

cheers....

bcreehan
2010-03-17, 07:31 PM
Is there a way to scale this to where it would be 27' tall?

ws
2010-03-17, 08:02 PM
If you look in Autodesk Seek there is a Doric Column family with pedestal which if you view it in elevation you can move the top level to whatever height you want, and it maintains the entasis of the column in a basic fashion with equality constraints - but the proportions of elements would need checking as they are not related by formulae within the family.

This should link to it:
http://seek.autodesk.com/product/latest/adsk/revit/families/arch/empty/Revit_ARC146

There is actually a folder of classical columns in the Content supplied with Revit - in the Metric version at least - under Columns - which doesn't seem to be the one indexed by Seek, but I could be wrong.

courtlandtgross
2010-03-17, 09:14 PM
Loading nested profiles seems like overkill in my opinion. How come you cannot just draw the profile within the revolve command? Use a Simple single arc Revolve for the shaft, i would make the capital and base as separate revolves so that you can use reference planes to modify the molding on the capitals according to their scale. Its possible to do this as one piece, although in my experience the more RPs/Parameters the more prone to breaking your family becomes.

p.s. what show is that in your avatar?