PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Wall display

rudolfesterhuyse
2010-03-18, 10:23 AM
I have a structural concrete building with columns and concrete shear walls.

In order to get my plans to read better I Want to show Concrete walls and columns in a thicher linestyle than Brickwork but I seem unable to do this except by overriding by view, which is not ideal.

I also find that where a concrete column and brick wall joins the concrete becomes thin on the joining edge which aclually makes it less readable than keeping the lineweights the same.

This cannot be overriden or changed using the line tool. I have to unjoin the wall and stop it in front at the column or concret wall edge which means the plaster does not continue on the outside of the column and I have to manually add plaster to the concrete column, by drawing a line.

Are there better ways that I don't know about?

Also, I want my brick edges to read thicker than plaster edges. What is the best way of achieving this?

cliff collins
2010-03-18, 12:41 PM
Try using Object Styles to control lineweights of overall categories such as Structural Columns, Structural Framing, Walls, etc.

just a thought.......

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-03-18, 01:07 PM
Try using Object Styles to control lineweights of overall categories such as Structural Columns, Structural Framing, Walls, etc.

just a thought.......

cheers

You can also set up a Filter that reads some information from certain types of walls, and makes them darker.

We have Filters that pick up FINISH walls (tile, wainscott, etc), Filters that select EXTERIOR walls, and Filters that select INTERIOR walls. All done by VERY simple naming convention. But you could filter them by any other means available.

Then you can tell the filter to change the lineweights. Set up a View Template with that filter and graphic override in place, and push it out to many views.

rudolfesterhuyse
2010-03-18, 01:53 PM
Thanks. I do control with Oject styles and it works except for the concrete walls which is part of the walls catagory and it does not solve the problem of connecting walls to columns/ walls which still makes the line thinkness read light where the connection takes place (see attached graphic - concrete walls overriden to have thicker lineweight in view.) I can use Object styles to make the joining line thicker but this also seem to make any lines inside walls ie cavity edges or stud layers edges thicker...

I have never used filters and will give it a try.

The other method that works ids giving all concrete a grey solid hatch but I don't much like construction drawings reading this way either.

Thanks for the advice though.

twiceroadsfool
2010-03-18, 04:03 PM
I have never used filters and will give it a try.

Thanks for the advice though.

Filters do exactly what youre after, if you have regimented standards in place...