PDA

View Full Version : Wall/Floor Hierarchy

ronsarlo
2010-03-23, 06:27 PM
I posted this in the Structural section a couple weeks ago, but with no response.
I have now been at revit for just under a month now, and have a much better feel for the software, but still have the same issue.
I was kind of hoping you guys might be able to help?

I am trying to figure out how to change the hierarchy of how a floor/slab joins up to a wall.

I have some concrete walls (foundation, retaining and core walls).
These would be from El. -1.000 to El. 2.000
I want to put in a slab-on-grade @ El. 0.000
As you know, Slab-on-grades would be a separate element poured in after the foundations.
They should extend to the core face of my concrete walls.
This is quite easy to accomplish for the outer boundary walls.
However, there are also many walls that intersect this slab.
The slab should yield to these walls in a similar way that GWB yields to CMU.

I am aware that I can place openings in the slab, but this is not my desired method for various reasons.

I have tried using the join tool, however, it seems that the Slab/Floors will always have greater hierarchy and cut through the walls.

The only way I can seem to change this, is to fiddle with the Type Properties:Structure and change the Layer Function (stuctures, substrate etc.).

This doesn't really seem to be a good workable solution since I would need to generate new Wall types for every hierarchy (and I'm only limited to the base 5 Layer Function Hierarchies). I don't think it was meant for this in the first place.

Also, it seems to be incomplete, both graphically in the 3D view and in the listed parameters (such as volume) still reflects that the Slab cuts through the walls.

Help would be very much appreciated! :Oops:

dlpdi5b
2010-03-25, 01:40 AM
I am assuming you have already built the interior walls that will penetrate the slab, and you have placed the slab to the perimeter of the building. the answer is to modify the slab boundary to include the perimeter edges of all the walls it surrounds.

Select the existing slab; pick the Edit Boundary button; then select the Pick Lines tool; then select all the edges of the interior walls that penetrate the slab. You can use the Pick wall tool and hover over a wall and hit tab to select one face of all connected walls, then use the pick lines tool to get the other edges that it missed. I am not aware of a way to pick all edges of multiple walls simultaneously. If you lock those slab lines to the interior walls, the slab will update / heal itself if you move one of those interior walls later.

Pick the Finish Floor button. choose no for attach walls. choose no for cut volume out of walls.

Ning Zhou
2010-03-25, 02:08 PM
2 options in my opinion, one is "cheating", one is "real"
1) use Cut Profile to modify section view so interior wall looks like cutting through slab
2) create different slabs instead of only one slab, but you still have to cut opennings in bottom slab
normally option 1 should be enough, option 2 will be more appropriate when you need accurate take-off, etc.

ronsarlo
2010-03-25, 05:49 PM
2 options in my opinion, one is "cheating", one is "real"
1) use Cut Profile to modify section view so interior wall looks like cutting through slab
2) create different slabs instead of only one slab, but you still have to cut opennings in bottom slab
normally option 1 should be enough, option 2 will be more appropriate when you need accurate take-off, etc.

1. Cut Profile doesn't seem to want to let me cut Slabs or Floors. Are you referring to something else?

2. I was hoping for something without the extra rework, but that makes sense, it might have to be the best we can do (for now).

I am assuming you have already built the interior walls that will penetrate the slab, and you have placed the slab to the perimeter of the building. the answer is to modify the slab boundary to include the perimeter edges of all the walls it surrounds.

Select the existing slab; pick the Edit Boundary button; then select the Pick Lines tool; then select all the edges of the interior walls that penetrate the slab. You can use the Pick wall tool and hover over a wall and hit tab to select one face of all connected walls, then use the pick lines tool to get the other edges that it missed. I am not aware of a way to pick all edges of multiple walls simultaneously. If you lock those slab lines to the interior walls, the slab will update / heal itself if you move one of those interior walls later.

Pick the Finish Floor button. choose no for attach walls. choose no for cut volume out of walls.

Ooooh, that's so smart! Thanks!

Ning Zhou
2010-03-26, 03:11 PM
see attached rvt for your reference.
1st wall is untreated case.
2nd wall is joined w/ slab.
3rd wall is the one using Cut Profile, you may already be aware that's only for 2D and view specific, that's what i mean "cheating".

ronsarlo
2010-03-29, 05:30 PM
Thanks Joe.

But I guess I was kind of hoping for something more automated. So that my slabs would automatically cut out around shaft walls, but not through stud walls.

Maybe they will eventually build this in.

thanks anyways guys!