PDA

View Full Version : Coordinates and Coordination Part 2

wcaramella
2010-03-23, 07:21 PM
In the previous post about linking multiple buildings into a site file which establishes and controls the coordinates for the buildings, I asked about sharing out the coordinates to the consultants. All in all, the work flow is working well. The work follow that I am having difficultly figuring out is linking the building files together in house. For example, two of the buildings are connected by pedestrian bridges, In order to get the circulation cores in the two buildings to line up the architects want to link each other's buildings into their local files. using shared coordinates, they come in the right location.

What continues to happen is that when saving their files Revit continually asks if they want to save the coordinates back to the linked file. They click Do Not Save. Revit prompts them two more times and then saves their local files. During this Process, Architect A becomes owner of Architect B's Project information and vice versa.

So as the administrator of the Master Site File, anytime I need to make an adjustment to the site files or the building locations within it to publish out updated coordinates, I get a warning about ownership of Project Information for the files.

The work around is to go to Architect A's local file of Architect B's file and Relinquish All Mine a Synchronize. And then go to Arch B's and do the same. However, when all 8 buildings are in development this process is going to be a nightmare.

First question: Is linking the other buildings into each other a bad idea? If so, what is the proper method or workflow for in house collaboration?

Second question: How can I avoid ownership of project information of files through the local files copied down by architects in house?

This all may sound confusing and it is or at least I am. If you have some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

WC