PDA

View Full Version : Rendered Walkthroughs

Joseph TVM
2010-03-24, 02:39 AM
Hi all

While creating rendered walkthroughs, what are the factors to be considered? While I created one, the floor seemed to be too flashy. How can better walkthroughs be created using Revit? Awaiting replies...

Thank You
Joseph Bejoy Babu
Senior Cad Engineer
Trivandrum

stephanschneller
2010-03-24, 08:38 AM
Hi,

Im in the middle of doing a walkthrough, genereally we use 24 Frames/ sec and medium quality (to keep the rendering time reasonable).

Regards,

Stephan

trombe
2010-03-24, 08:54 AM
Hi all

While creating rendered walkthroughs, what are the factors to be considered? While I created one, the floor seemed to be too flashy. How can better walkthroughs be created using Revit? Awaiting replies...

Thank You
Joseph Bejoy Babu
Senior Cad Engineer
Trivandrum

Dear Joseph,
have you:
read the Help in Revit on Walkthrough Tool?

Studied the use of the frames tools for speeding up and slowing down the walk speed ?

Studied the Rendering and Lights information in the Revit 2010 User Guide ? (over 60 pages).

Read about COV / FOV rules for human perspective viewing ?

Searched and studied AUGI Rendering forum for answers regarding materials and various issues to do with daylight and portals and artificial lighting ?

Checked out the Gallery forum for commentary ?

Studied the Help on the use of rendering to (.avi) versus rendering frames out and stitching them together later ?

Tried importing your own materials (avoid HD if you can)

Checked on the use of section boxes versus crop boxes ?

Thought about what lighting you have, versus what lighting you might need ? (for instance, if you have 30 lights do you really need these turned on when probably 5 or 6 could easily do if for a vignette)

Have you tried coloured filters in your lighting ? (is it day ? is it night ? is dusk / dawn ?)

Personally, I would not bother trying to render a walkthrough in Revit (as an (.avi) or as images) but I don't have a quad machine for 2010 nor a spare license to have a spare machine ticking over for 3 weeks rendering).

If you are just able to do a shaded view walkthrough, go right ahead but if it is rendered that you want I would think you might want to look at a range of other options, like exporting out the images and rendering them in another package, or exporting the model into another package and rendering the walkthrough as frames or something like (.avi) in that package
(you are likely to have a range of further options not (currently) available in Revit and options could include ability for network or distributed rendering, or faster render engine etc.)

Revit does a large number of things really really well and I still think its brilliant but rendering is limited (all respect to S Brown and Cliff Collins) and it does not have animation tools, just a crippled walkthrough tool which is fun and useful to check things while working but rubbish for most presentation.

Before I fill up any more time on this post, I really ask you to check those things.
regards
trombe

cliff collins
2010-03-24, 12:54 PM
Rendered Walkthrus in Revit:

1. Expect long render times, even with a fast Xeon quad core and lots of RAM.

2. Expect even longer render times on interior scenes with a lot of artificial lighting.

Revit will only use 4 CPU cores max. when rendering. That is the speed limitation.

It can be done in Revit, but is it is MUCH more efficient to bring the Revit model into
3dsMax via FBX, and use distributed bucket rendering or backburner, which allows
the use of many, many cores--i.e. a Render Farm.

And there is promise with 3dsMax 2011 and it's new Quicksilver GPU/CPU rendering
feature which may increase speed even more.........

cheers

gwnelson
2010-03-24, 01:06 PM
I use shaded mode exclusively. Recognizing that there's a big gap between what I do & Dreamworks Studios, the more realistic I try to make it the worse it looks. Not worth the time.

I make 900 - 1200 frames, all jpgs, & compile them in a freeware "Slide Show Movie Maker". For what it's intended to be, we're all basically happy with the output given the time spent.

Joseph TVM
2010-03-25, 01:29 AM
Thank You all for your valuable suggestions....Actually I had to prepare a BIM model and present it to a customer and I thought of doing a rendered walk through in Revit itself to make it more impressive....Now I have decided of doing just the shaded walkthrough just to show about the furniture arrangement.

Thank You
Joseph Bejoy Babu
Senior Cad Engineer
Trivandrum

cliff collins
2010-03-25, 01:41 PM
Well--based on what I have just seen about Revit 2011, rendered walkthrus will now be a reality in Revit! No more 4 CPU core limitation!

cheers