PDA

View Full Version : Stair nosing

charliep
2010-03-24, 05:45 PM
Is there a way to change the material for the stair nosing so I can show it as a contrast to the tread?

btrusty
2010-03-24, 06:16 PM
are you using a standard stair family or a customized one?

you could add it into a family as an option

charliep
2010-03-24, 06:23 PM
Thanks for quick reply. Just a standard monolithic stair concrete finish. I want to be able to show the nosing in a contrasting colour.

btrusty
2010-03-24, 06:25 PM
the quick and easiest way is filled regions

the more adaptive way is creating a in-project family that is attached to the stair so that it looks appropriate in plan, elevation, sections (might have to manually fix it slightly if you change the stair and dont have snaps-locks correct

charliep
2010-03-24, 06:34 PM
Thanks btrusty, that's what I did on my last one. I was hoping there was a parameter within the stair properties like tread materials, stringer materials, etc. that I could change.

btrusty
2010-03-24, 06:40 PM
we have made custom stairs based on the monolithic that has different materials for the treads (open metal grate, concrete filled pan), but i was not the one who edited the family from the base, i had added on to it since then.

cliff collins
2010-03-24, 08:44 PM
The stair nosing is driven by a Profile family.

Try opening the Nosing Profile family, and add a Material Parameter.
Save it, then load into your project.

You should now be able to control to material of the nosing independently from the rest of the stairs.

I have not actually tested this--let me know if that works.

cheers.

tcatana
2010-03-24, 09:56 PM
Go visit this website and check the article on the right. Now these are stairs in REVIT

http://www.architecture-tech.com/

Munkholm
2010-03-24, 10:00 PM
I´d like to recommend Phil Read´s "Insanely Great Stairs and Railings with
Autodesk Revit" Class Code: AB114-1 (AU2009)

Assuming that you have access to AU Online ? :beer:

charliep
2010-03-25, 09:50 AM
The stair nosing is driven by a Profile family.

Try opening the Nosing Profile family, and add a Material Parameter.
Save it, then load into your project.

You should now be able to control to material of the nosing independently from the rest of the stairs.

I have not actually tested this--let me know if that works.

cheers.

Thanks Cliff. Tried it as an Instance then as a Type parameter, neither worked.

charliep
2010-03-25, 10:10 AM
I´d like to recommend Phil Read´s "Insanely Great Stairs and Railings with
Autodesk Revit" Class Code: AB114-1 (AU2009)

Assuming that you have access to AU Online ? :beer:
A truly terrific tutorial! I doubt if I will be called upon to to model such delightful stairs but I do intend to work through the exercise when I get some spare time. However, here in the U.K. stairs in public buildings have to be DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) compliant. This requires the nosing to be a contrasting colour so people with poor eyesight can see the steps more clearly. So far I've not been able to achieve this as part of the stair tool. So keep the ideas coming and I'm sure we will get there.

Munkholm
2010-03-25, 10:53 AM
Charlie.

The reason I pointed you to Phil´s excellent paper, was that you need to think "out of the box"

Nosing profiles, out of the box, are just 2D profiles which can not be assigned a material... as you´ve experienced.

So, using Phil´s out of the box way of thinking, those nosings could instead be balusters hosted to the stair by a railing...
Basicly you only need to create the nosing profile (solid extrusion though), using the Metric Baluster template, instead of the profile template... load it into your project, create a new railing type, with nothing but your new baluster (nosing) set to 1 pr. thread, and lastly create the railing and host it to the stair...

Take a look at this quick example.... :beer: