PDA

View Full Version : Join Timber column to wall

dzatto
2010-03-24, 09:42 PM
I can't figure it out. The join geometry tool doesn't work. I have a timber column that is projected into the stud layer of an OOTB brick wall. Well, I changed the brick to stone, but that shouldn't matter.

Anyway, the wall goes through the column, which is okay in 3D view since you can't tell, but is bugging me in the plan views. how can I get the stud part of the wall to trim around the timber column?

cliff collins
2010-03-24, 09:49 PM
If the timber column is of the Structural variety, you may have such join problems.

As a quick test, drop in an "architectural column" and see if it joins properly.

(Not that that really solves your issue, if you really need the column to be a Struct. column
for engineers, analysis with 3rd party BIM apps, etc.)

Maybe post an example?

cheers

dzatto
2010-03-25, 12:31 AM
Once again, you are correct sir!! :beer: Architectural columns clean up, but they become part of the wall. Not quite correct either. I guess I'll ask the client which look he likes best. I don't run any structural third party software so that's not an issue.

Ning Zhou
2010-03-25, 02:21 PM
for structural stuff like column, etc., if you want it to behave "normally", then create your own family using structural category.
in your case, if you create your own structural column instead of using instock one, then it will join w/ wall.

dzatto
2010-03-26, 02:49 PM
for structural stuff like column, etc., if you want it to behave "normally", then create your own family using structural category.
in your case, if you create your own structural column instead of using instock one, then it will join w/ wall.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check into it. :beer: