PDA

View Full Version : Cope flange top or bottom, not both

mark.244056
2010-03-25, 02:33 PM
Is anyone aware of a way to cope a flange without getting top and bottom? I'm currently cutting by polyline, but it cuts through the entire flange, top and bottom. Kinda like drilling, it would be nice to choose top, bottom, or both.

joeb.243415
2010-03-25, 07:26 PM
Mark,
I'm not exactly sure but it sounds like you are trying to cope the beam from the top down. If you draw your polyline on the side of a beam, you can control whether it goes through the top or bottom flange by controlling your polyline. It is possible that I am not understanding the problem, but maybe it will help.

mark.244056
2010-03-25, 09:24 PM
That makes sense. I tried it again, moving my polyline in the -Z direction just above the bottom flange. It still cut the flange clean through the entire member, top and bottom flange. Thanks for the help though, its much appriciated.

kathy71046
2010-03-26, 07:04 AM
I had a similar issue a few weeks ago.....I wanted to remove the part of one flange.

The workaround I used was:

Create a plate the size you want to cope to (overlapping your interfering member)
Use fit to object to shape the cope around the plate (set to passive)
Delete plate.

My new wishlist item: create notch

joeb.243415
2010-03-29, 12:04 PM
Mark,
It looks like you are trying to cut from the top view. If you draw a polyline in a "side" view, you can then cut the top or the bottom flanges individually. I tried to create a situation like this and post the pictures. I hope you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

djn
2010-04-05, 06:43 PM
I ran into a similar situation where I wanted to cope just the top flange on just one side of the beam. The plate trick worked for me. I can't believe that there isn't notch or cope tool as well. That would be very useful.

mark.244056
2010-04-07, 06:11 PM
The plate trick worked for me too. But I already had the connection there and it made an automatic cut 1/2" from the column. The cope needs to be cut first before making a connection.