PDA

View Full Version : cannot align and lock object to ref. plane

mmiles
2010-03-29, 07:18 PM
I have a wall based family with some (generic) door families nested inside it. the family is intended to be used to create a screened in porch, and perhaps it too could have been a door family, but for whatever reason that was not the choice...

I have cut an opening in the wall using ref.planes that I labeled left and right (and set their references to those settings). Then, I placed a ref. plane to each side of those and intend to use them to establish the outside widths of my nested sashes. The problem is that whenever I try to flex the overall width, the sashes loses their associativity with the offset ref. planes. my only choice is to remove the constraints, or cancel the flex test. If I align and lock the sash to the "left" and "right" (the outer) ref. planes, then the sashes move as intended. But, this is not how I want to assemble the geometry.

Any thoughts as to why the nested families will stay locked to one set of ref.planes, but not to the others? thanks.

edit:
In fact, when i drag the pull handles for the nested family, they will snap to the ref. planes, and when dragged to the outside pair of lines the lock symbol automatically appears. But, when I drag them to other ref. planes, that symbol does not appear. In this fact I suspect lies my answer to this problem, but I do not know what to do. At this point I am reverse engineering a family someone else created for me, and I am hoping to avoid remaking it (although with all the time....)

mmiles
2010-03-29, 10:34 PM
Problem solved......

bb
2010-03-30, 12:52 PM
What was the problem?

mmiles
2010-03-30, 07:08 PM
I discovered a 2nd family that I was locking to - not the ref. planes - but could not see because it was linked to a family type parameter and that one was not part of the family type that I was editing. So, I found all instances of the nested family and deleted them. Then I reinserted them and aligned and locked as I needed.