PDA

View Full Version : Schedule navigation - subtle tips

Steve_Stafford
2004-12-06, 11:08 PM
Working in a schedule you can find yourself tempted to use the mouse, move back to the keyboard, back to the mouse...so on.

If you navigate a schedule using the arrow keys or tab as opposed to picking a field with the mouse:

HOME = activates edit mode and places cursor in front of the data
END = activates edit mode and places cursor at the end of the data
SPACE = activates edit mode erases the data and moves over one space

You can navigate a schedule pretty easily and not have to use the mouse doing so using a combination of the above.

One very effective use for HOME: Let's say you have GWB entered in a column many times but you want it to be PT GWB instead. Put the PT in one field, then copy "PT" to the clipboard, then use the UP/DN arrow keys to navigate to a field, press HOME and CTRL+V to paste in the value. This way you can "play" drums on your keyboard and enter a bunch of data pretty quick. (no quips from Steve "Rock-n-Roll" Shell thank you!)

SCShell
2004-12-06, 11:50 PM
Hey Steve,

Nice tip!

<sitting here waiving my hands going "oouugh, oouugh" waiting to be called on by the teacher>
How do ya get a drummer off your front porch.....?lol
Steve

Steve_Stafford
2004-12-07, 12:08 AM
...How do ya get a drummer off your front porch.....?I'll bite, since I haven't heard this denigration of my favored instrument...how do you?

beegee
2004-12-07, 12:31 AM
just guessing - pay for the pizza ?

beegee
2004-12-07, 12:33 AM
And one for Steve Schell..

How many blues guitarists does it take to cover "Voodoo Chile"?

mjfarrell
2004-12-07, 01:10 AM

Just one if he is any good,
more than that it muddies the waters.

SCShell
2004-12-07, 01:50 AM

HeeeHeee
Just one, but you need a room full of guitarists sitting back saying, "I could have done that!"
Steve

beegee
2004-12-07, 02:28 AM
I was going to say ..." All of them.! ", - but I like your answer better.

HeeeHeee
Just one, but you need a room full of guitarists sitting back saying, "I could have done that!"
Steve

jbalding48677
2004-12-07, 05:05 AM
Working in a schedule you can find yourself tempted to use the mouse, move back to the keyboard, back to the mouse...so on.

If you navigate a schedule using the arrow keys or tab as opposed to picking a field with the mouse:

HOME = activates edit mode and places cursor in front of the data
END = activates edit mode and places cursor at the end of the data
SPACE = activates edit mode erases the data and moves over one space

You can navigate a schedule pretty easily and not have to use the mouse doing so using a combination of the above.

One very effective use for HOME: Let's say you have GWB entered in a column many times but you want it to be PT GWB instead. Put the PT in one field, then copy "PT" to the clipboard, then use the UP/DN arrow keys to navigate to a field, press HOME and CTRL+V to paste in the value. This way you can "play" drums on your keyboard and enter a bunch of data pretty quick. (no quips from Steve "Rock-n-Roll" Shell thank you!)
Great tip Steve, I should have shown that in the schedules class ;)

Sorry, buddy -

Scott D Davis
2004-12-07, 05:50 AM
Great tip Steve, I should have shown that in the schedules class ;)
If I could get your evaluation back...your 10 would drop to a 9 for "knowledge of material"!!! :-P

jbalding48677
2004-12-07, 06:26 AM
If I could get your evaluation back...your 10 would drop to a 9 for "knowledge of material"!!! :-P
I was wondering who gave me that lone 10. Thanks Scott, checks in the mail...