PDA

View Full Version : open as read only

Ning Zhou
2010-04-01, 08:14 PM
sounds like stupid question, i must miss something very simple, how to open rvt as read only? thanks.

Paul Monsef
2010-04-01, 08:18 PM
sounds like stupid question, i must miss something very simple, how to open rvt as read only? thanks.
ODD. I thought I had once just clicked the down arrow next to OPEN - now nothing happens.

:screwy:

dlpdi5b
2010-04-02, 03:32 PM
Yes, I see the same thing, the dropdown next to the open button doesn't work.

bregnier
2010-04-02, 03:46 PM
As I understand it the pulldown is for workset options, not for read-only. The equivalent of this in Revit is "Detach from Central," the check box to the right of the open button. In order to use this feature you have to first enable worksharing, which should probably be enabled anyway if more than one person is working on the file. If you don't want to do this you can always copy and paste the file into a different location, then open it.

jamesgchambers
2010-04-02, 05:17 PM
Copying and pasting a Revit file within Windows Explorer is the same as creating a local file. The only way to get a separate file would be though Detach Central.

bregnier
2010-04-02, 08:25 PM
Yes, the copy and paste only works if you don't have worksharing enabled. Thanks for clarifying.

Ning Zhou
2010-04-05, 05:08 PM
what if i not use worksharing yet (for instance at concept design stage and only one person work on it)? man, should Autodesk give us back that very simple/basic option?