PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlinks (external) lost in Revit Export to DWFX

ben.bringardner
2010-04-02, 05:23 AM
I am doing a bit of research on the best way to link .pdf files to revit drawings to be passed along to owners after the completion of construction projects in their closeout package. We have identified three possible formats (other than paper) which could work. In order of preference they are:

1. .pdf
2. .dwf
3. navis (distant third choice)

I have yet to find the perfect format.

From what I can tell Revit does not appear to export to PDF (please correct me if I am wrong... at least not without the purchase of a third party software) and when AutoCAD does the hyperlinks are not retained. This restricts us to adding hyperlinks AFTER the pdfs are created meaning any changes would require redoing the work.

DWF Files seem to retain their hyperlinks when coming from AutoCAD, but when coming from Revit it only seems to retain the hyperlinks associated with views & not external hyperlinks to websites & pdfs, etc.

I have heard that in going from Revit to Navisworks the URL parameter function as a hyperlink and they are maintained. BUT Navis is our last choice, especially since a low percentage of our clients are familiar with it, though the viewer is free. In addition, it appears (from my limited goofing around with it) that the URL parameter is a type parameter. While 90% of the time this is fine, there may be some instances where we may show the same type in Revit for multiple items, in reality these items have different specs. (is there a way to make an instance based URL Parameter?).

Any suggestions? I am especially interested to hear if there is a way for external hyperlinks to be maintained when exporting a Revit file to DWFX. Please correct me if I have missed something.

Thanks
Ben