PDA

View Full Version : Revit walkthrough AVI file not playable

diesellam
2010-04-05, 06:35 PM
Hi,

I tried to do a walkthrough. Settings are all default, and used "rendering" for the setting.
Then, when it started rendering the first frame (1 of 300). After the first frame is done, there's a dialog box poppped up asking for the graphic setting. Then I chose "Uncompressed avi".

When the whole thing is done, I can't play this avi file in the Windows Media Player, what's the reason for it?

Do I need a AVI to WMV converter to convert it to be playable in WMP?

Thanks in advance,
David

cliff collins
2010-04-05, 07:19 PM
1. Perhaps the uncompressed AVI is too large and your machine does not have enough RAM to fully process it? Are you using 32 bit OS or 64 bit? How much RAM?

2. Try installing some additional video codecs ( there are some free packages available )
then restart your computer. See if the new codecs appear in the Revit walkthrough
compression list. If so, try using one ( like mpg4 ). Does this work? If you are using 64 bit
OS make sure you install 64 bit codecs.

3. You can use Format Factory or similar free app to convert AVI to wmv.

cheers

diesellam
2010-04-05, 08:26 PM
Thanks Cliff, I'll give it a try.

So what's the typical setting (frame/sec, number of frames, file format) that would ensure it's always playable with acceptable quality in the Windows Media Player? Does .WMV format always work?

cliff collins
2010-04-05, 08:55 PM
We usually compress to AVI, then convert to windows media, because most of the time the movies are going into Powerpoint and that seems to work best.

Frame rate will vary--depends on the purpose of the walkthru.

Most walkthrus we do in Revit are shaded views--not rendered (but that might change with Revit 2011) due to speed/performance limitations. So we might use 24 or 30 fps.
Our final photo-realistic animations are mostly done in 3dsMax--using the Revit model.

Sometimes as low as 15 fps--for a "cartoony" shaded view walkthru for a quick in-house
study.

cheers