PDA

View Full Version : background color of a floor plan view

sami
2010-04-07, 06:47 PM
For presentation purposes, can I change the background color of a floor plan view from white to anther color?
(somewhat similar to how we can get a sky colour in 3d views..)

cliff collins
2010-04-07, 07:00 PM
Revit button>Options>Graphics> invert background color

this will make it either black or white background.

If you want another color, you can use a 3D View, then use the view cube to orient the 3D View to a Floor Plan view.

Then, under Graphic Display Options, turn on gradient color, and change ground plan color
to whatever color you wish.

see attached image, I decided to make it green.

Another way would be to place a flat toposurface at Level 1 and change its material to a solid color of your choice.

cheers

sami
2010-04-07, 08:30 PM
Thansk, I was hoping there was a non-workaround method, but I guess not..

ron.sanpedro
2010-04-08, 12:40 AM
Thansk, I was hoping there was a non-workaround method, but I guess not..

Another option is to use a 3D view, and Align to View to a plan view (right click the view cube), then in the Graphic Display Options of the view, turn on Gradient Background. This will give you the ground plane, same as in other 3D views, as well as glass transparency that you don't get in a regular plan. And it doesn't require a kludge that changes all views. With shadows on and Shading with Edges I find it really good for "design" site plans.

Gordon

cliff collins
2010-04-08, 01:04 PM
Gordon,

That's precisely what I said above.........with an example.

cheers

SCShell
2010-04-08, 01:41 PM
Sami,
Why would you consider this a "work around"?
Orient to view and set Gradient Background is the intended and correct method, as Cliff and Gordon pointed out.
How much easier could it have been?
Steve

cliff collins
2010-04-08, 02:27 PM
Steve,

Agreed.

However, I think perhaps the OP would like to have the ability to add a background color to non-3D views.

Sounds like another candidate for the Wishlist, if it is not already there?

cheers

ron.sanpedro
2010-04-08, 03:40 PM
Gordon,

That's precisely what I said above.........with an example.

cheers

Note to self: Don't read threads from the bottom up! I read "workaround" in one post and "Invert background color" in another, and just went sailing on (blindly) from there.

Gordon

SCShell
2010-04-09, 01:26 PM
Note to self: Don't read threads from the bottom up! I read "workaround" in one post and "Invert background color" in another, and just went sailing on (blindly) from there.

Gordon

Hey Gordon
That's funny!

kafka
2010-04-09, 02:18 PM
and what if I want a light gray in all views instead of pure white just for "sight comfort " purposes?

sami
2010-04-09, 11:07 PM
Sami,
Why would you consider this a "work around"?
Orient to view and set Gradient Background is the intended and correct method, as Cliff and Gordon pointed out.
How much easier could it have been?
Steve

my plans would have text, dimensions, and detail lines, so the 3d view wouldn't really have any of that..

I was basically just looking to create a presentation plan (view template) where the walls are white and the background is a dark color.. I used detail color fill, but that wasn't perfect either because it shows up in front of the room color scheme..

Paul Monsef
2010-04-09, 11:36 PM
my plans would have text, dimensions, and detail lines, so the 3d view wouldn't really have any of that..

I was basically just looking to create a presentation plan (view template) where the walls are white and the background is a dark color.. I used detail color fill, but that wasn't perfect either because it shows up in front of the room color scheme..
Try a BIG floor? Seemed to work well for what I needed.

sami
2010-04-10, 01:47 PM
Try a BIG floor? Seemed to work well for what I needed.

what do you mean by BIG floor?

Paul Monsef
2010-04-10, 02:07 PM
Big, like big enough to fill the screen!

SCShell
2010-04-13, 12:56 PM
my plans would have text, dimensions, and detail lines, so the 3d view wouldn't really have any of that.. ..

I have overlaid my Presentation Plan (standard view plan with notes and dimensions) over an oriented 3D view which has the Ground Gradient Background Once overlaid, you can play with turning model objects off entirely which leave only your notes and dimensions visible, on top of your oriented 3D view with really nice results.

Good luck!
Steve

cliff collins
2010-04-13, 01:06 PM
Another great tip, Steve!

Tried it and it works great.

cheers........

SCShell
2010-04-19, 10:39 AM
No Problem...glad to help.
Also, because of a friend's request, I did this with an elevation view too so that all of the notes and levels showed over a nice gradient background.
Cheers back
Steve

ron.sanpedro
2010-04-19, 06:05 PM
I have overlaid my Presentation Plan (standard view plan with notes and dimensions) over an oriented 3D view which has the Ground Gradient Background Once overlaid, you can play with turning model objects off entirely which leave only your notes and dimensions visible, on top of your oriented 3D view with really nice results.

Good luck!
Steve

Another option is to create your Oriented to Plan 3D view, set the background color you want, then turn off all categories. Now you have a view that is nothing but the gradient.

Drop this on a sheet, using a No Titles viewport. Then drop any plan on top of that. You will want notes, dimensions and the like to not be opaque text, but I generally prefer that anyway.

Gordon

cliff collins
2010-04-19, 08:11 PM
Gordon and Steve,

These are really nice presentation tips--we're using them now with RAC 2011--
good stuff.

cheers

SCShell
2010-04-22, 11:34 PM
Another option is to create your Oriented to Plan 3D view, set the background color you want, then turn off all categories. Now you have a view that is nothing but the gradient.

Drop this on a sheet, using a No Titles viewport. Then drop any plan on top of that. You will want notes, dimensions and the like to not be opaque text, but I generally prefer that anyway.

Gordon
Hey Gordon,
That is exactly what I did for my Elevation example. Only with elevations and 3d view oriented to side of elevation.
Great minds think alike.