PDA

View Full Version : Iso Plumbing Risers

BomberAIA
2004-12-07, 05:33 PM
Has anyone draw them? Do you draw risers in a 3D view?

BomberAIA
2004-12-08, 02:49 PM
Since I couldn't wait for a response, I did the iso's in a 3D view. It worked great and fast. Jim Balding said at the AU that Acad was faster in 2D drawing. I disagree. Revit is faster and easier.

aggockel50321
2004-12-08, 02:57 PM
Post a screenshot, & how you did them.

BomberAIA
2004-12-08, 03:19 PM
I just started to draw a medium line in Modeling in the 3D View. I duplicated the view, renamed it and cropped.

bowlingbrad
2004-12-08, 03:35 PM
Bomber,
Could you be specific on how you created these? I am very interested to know how to work on riser diagrams in Revit!

Brad

christo4robin
2004-12-08, 03:35 PM
Just an idea, but wouldn't it be possible to add 3D model lines to the fixture families (give them a distinct object style in the family for visibility control) and then just connect them once they are in place?

BomberAIA
2004-12-08, 04:13 PM
I duplicated my 3D View. renamed it to A1 Plumbing Riser and cropped to a void area of the view. I opened Modeling, picked Lines (used a medium line) and started to draw at 135 deg. This is not a scaled model of the plumbing riser derived from the plan view. I think it's faster this way, although I haven't tried the other way. If anyone has tried a different technique, please post it.

BomberAIA
2004-12-08, 07:26 PM
I just did another riser by open a Drafting View and drawing Lines from the Drafting Menu.

John K.
2005-06-21, 05:14 PM
I duplicated my 3D View. renamed it to A1 Plumbing Riser and cropped to a void area of the view. I opened Modeling, picked Lines (used a medium line) and started to draw at 135 deg. This is not a scaled model of the plumbing riser derived from the plan view. I think it's faster this way, although I haven't tried the other way. If anyone has tried a different technique, please post it.

Howdy all,

Just curious to know if anyone has fresh input on this topic. I got about 15 minutes into creating a 3d riser model. As it became apparent that it wouldn't go as quickly as hoped, I did the ever-critical search on this forum. So far, it appears Bombers answer of slapping 2d lines over a drafting view is the back-of-the-book answer.

Anyone?

Kirky
2005-06-22, 12:13 AM
I use a mass form to create a 3D edge path for a sweep to follow

pwmsmith
2005-06-22, 03:40 PM
Another method which I like to use is to draw the iso in SU, export out as 'dwg', import in to Revit in a 3Dview.

Arnel Aguel
2006-05-13, 10:33 AM
Just bringing up an old topic but it seems that this is the only thread discussing plumbing risers. Is it drafting is the only way of doing this?

How about if I want to have a footprint (2d ) of my plan in the drafting view so that I will have a clearer view which pipes goes which area how do we go about this?

narlee
2006-05-13, 02:30 PM
Bomber,

Am I correct that your plumbing iso is good only in that view? That is, if you go to an elevation or other view, your "vertical" lines are not really vertical?

Geof.

Arnel Aguel
2006-05-14, 12:13 AM
Bomber,

Am I correct that your plumbing iso is good only in that view? That is, if you go to an elevation or other view, your "vertical" lines are not really vertical?

Geof.

That is most likely will happen I have tried it even if you use model line its only good in that particular view once you changed views your lines go haywire.

greg.mcdowell
2006-05-14, 12:34 AM
I think if I needed this from Revit I'd be looking into Revit Systems instead of Revit Building... bound to be something there to solve this issue (of course it does mean you'll need to buy yet another program... luckily you probably already know how to use it!).

But if I had to make do with Revit Building then I think I would make a series of families with a plumbing category (I'm not sure how to do this exactly but I've seen it done with ductwork so I'm sure it can be done with plumbing too) and place them in the building as they would be built (or as near as I could make it). Then you'd be able to set up a view in isometric and have only that category shown... sounds like a bit of work but it's the only way I can think of to do this.

narlee
2006-05-14, 05:56 PM
This seems like a good place to talk about ACAD's ability to do XYZ coordinates?

neb1998
2006-05-15, 02:18 AM
while i havent tried this idea what about putting all the riser info right into a family, the visible elements and such, perhaps parametric so we can adjust size and etc...then use a 2d elevation view to see the elements...i will practice with this and submit tommorow

Arnel Aguel
2006-05-16, 12:13 AM
This seems like a good place to talk about ACAD's ability to do XYZ coordinates?

I would be happy if we could just have ISO SNAP like in autocad rather that buying another software in Revit System.

archjake
2006-05-16, 03:13 AM
while i havent tried this idea what about putting all the riser info right into a family, the visible elements and such, perhaps parametric so we can adjust size and etc...then use a 2d elevation view to see the elements...i will practice with this and submit tommorow
You must have read my mind. You could have different stack situations for common layouts.

After drawing riser diagrams for a number of years its just as easy to draw it up in 2D.

archjake
2006-05-16, 03:27 PM
After drawing riser diagrams for a number of years its just as easy to draw it up in 2D.
Here is a recent sample. It was a fun one. I also recently did a 2 story project that had a lot of walls at 60 degree angles. That one got confusing.

BomberAIA
2006-05-16, 05:02 PM
I created my riser in a 3d view not in a drafting view.

Arnel Aguel
2006-05-17, 12:09 AM
What I found is that it is much easier to draft(2d) riser diagram in autocad then just import in your 3d view hide everything except for the imported dwg and done very very fast.

Here is a recent sample. It was a fun one. I also recently did a 2 story project that had a lot of walls at 60 degree angles. That one got confusing.

Did you draft you sample riser in 3d view? Was it fast? I have tried it but cant get it right unless I'll put a lot of reference planes and keep on changing views when drafting that makes it very very slow for me.

archjake
2006-05-17, 03:13 AM
What I found is that it is much easier to draft(2d) riser diagram in autocad then just import in your 3d view hide everything except for the imported dwg and done very very fast.

Did you draft you sample riser in 3d view? Was it fast? I have tried it but cant get it right unless I'll put a lot of reference planes and keep on changing views when drafting that makes it very very slow for me.
I do all mine in 2D. For the complicated 2 story apartments with walls at 60 degree angles I started with a 3D view to use as an underlay. I put the 3D view on a sheet, then placed a drafting view on the sheet (over the 3D view) and started by drawing directly over the 3D "background" ( in the drafting view). I find that this can either hinder or help. Just Depends.

ariasdelcid
2006-05-17, 05:58 PM
Good job Wayne!

Johan Malan
2006-05-18, 01:35 PM
You can shoot yourself in the foot and use the real thing.

archjake
2006-05-18, 06:35 PM
You can shoot yourself in the foot and use the real thing.What did you use for this? Revit Systems?

Steve_Stafford
2006-05-18, 07:36 PM
You can make the workplane visible and rotate the grid to make it a little easier to sketch the 2d iso linework.

jeff.95551
2006-05-18, 07:53 PM
Those are some really interesting approaches. For my 2 cents, I put something together in autocad as fast as I can that has all the fixtures on it, bring it into Revit, explode it and add text. As an architect, I want everything to be right - as a builder who's built more than 20 custom homes in and around Phoenix, I have NEVER once seen a plumber look at a plumbing iso, even on multi-story homes. I put notes on the foor plans telling them where to put vent stacks, etc, and I still have to have my superintendents point those out and direct it. I think they only person that looks at the plumbing iso is the plan checker, and they are just looking at charts for sizes. My rule of thumb is that if the project is complex enough to really need the iso, it probably also needs an engineer...

I love watching how innovative all of you are with Revit!

Jeff

Arnel Aguel
2006-05-19, 03:09 AM
You can shoot yourself in the foot and use the real thing.

Geezzzzzzeee I love those 3D piping man, don't tell me it's Revit System is it?

Johan Malan
2006-05-19, 07:42 AM
I had used Revit 8 to create the families. There are still some I have not created yet to make a complete system and it needs some refinement, but it is as Jeff had said, it is not required even here in South Africa. (I like the look.)

See attached:

rhys
2006-05-19, 12:23 PM
I had used Revit 8 to create the families. There are still some I have not created yet to make a complete system and it needs some refinement, but it is as Jeff had said, it is not required even here in South Africa. (I like the look.)

See attached:
Just goes to show what can be done. Good models. We have in the past modeled whole house heat recovery vent routes using void and sweeps, but generally don't model stacks simply because components like these would take so much time to model. Now if there were a full set of marley fittings available that might be different.