PDA

View Full Version : Office storefront door size

Dave Lewis
2010-04-08, 10:00 PM
I don't get it
My vertical grid pattern layout is set to a minimum spacing of 3' 0" but my door ends up being 2'-9 1/8"
How do I get my door to be 3' 0"?

cporter.207875
2010-04-08, 10:16 PM
I don't get it
My vertical grid pattern layout is set to a minimum spacing of 3' 0" but my door ends up being 2'-9 1/8"
How do I get my door to be 3' 0"?

Grid spacing is from the centerline of mullions. On the end of a storefront assembly, the spacing is from the outside edge of the mullion. So you are getting 3'-0" from the outside of the first mull to the centerline of the second mull.

Andre Carvalho
2010-04-08, 10:19 PM
The distance of 3'-0" is from curtain grid to curtain grid. If your mullions are centered on grids, you have that difference (half mullion on each side) on the door.

Andre Carvalho

Dave Lewis
2010-04-08, 10:24 PM
So whats the best way to go?
Should I do a minimum spacing of 3' 2"
Now I've got doors that are 3' 5"

I just want a 3' 0" door and the other mullion to be evenly spaced in the remaining space available?

cporter.207875
2010-04-08, 10:29 PM
So whats the best way to go?
Should I do a minimum spacing of 3' 2"
Now I've got doors that are 3' 5"

I just want a 3' 0" door and the other mullion to be evenly spaced in the remaining space available?

I seldom use the spacing parameters in the curtain family. Instead, I will place a dimension string and activate equality constraints to get my mulls evenly spaced. This way I can set the door jamb mulls for a 3' door, pin them in place, and evenly space the rest.

Dave Lewis
2010-04-08, 10:52 PM
can you walk me through how to do this
All my offices already have their curtain walls drawn
Do I need to start over or can I modify my existing walls?

Paul Monsef
2010-04-08, 11:50 PM
can you walk me through how to do this
All my offices already have their curtain walls drawn
Do I need to start over or can I modify my existing walls?
Basically; In the curtain wall family you would not provide parameters for grids. You would draw them in manually and dim/lock them together via dimension strings.

I typically design my curtain systems to show grids as needed. Then in the cases of doors etc... You can select the grids that need to be adjusted, unpin/unlock it, and adjust as necessary.

So to fix your door issue, unlock the grids on each side of your door and adjust them. There is no need to recreate the system family if all the other curtain walls in your model are OK.

cliff collins
2010-04-09, 02:58 PM
I agree with the other replies--just adjust the grids and account for mullion width and height
to centerline of grids at each side of opening.

Another trick is to substitute a wall into the curtain panel, and then insert a standard
door family into the wall which is now embedded into the curtain panel.

You must still adjust the grids to give the correct opening width and height,
but you can now use any door type in your curtain wall.

cheers

aaronrumple
2010-04-14, 07:30 PM
...for the issues listed here, we use type based door panels nested into a curtain wall panel family. This way the door has the size we want, and then we can move the mullions as noted to fit. Less math to figure out and no funky fake hidden real wall as a panel. Plus they show on the schedule the same way as other doors.