PDA

View Full Version : Viewres....

Jun Austria
2010-04-09, 03:21 AM
This is the setting I used in AutoCAD to control the smoothness of circle in a view.
Is there a similar setting in Revit. The reason I asked, The printing of Circle is giving me a segmented output. I was shock when I went to the site. The contructor made a railing based on my printed drawing. And the print shows a segmented circle. And they follow what is printed.

Alex Page
2010-04-15, 10:10 PM
Its a nightmare, and I feel your pain - a shocker.
We, would you belive it , put detail components over all of our handrails in section because of this....

rganter.97143
2010-07-20, 05:52 PM
Still no improvement in Revit 2011 on this. I wonder what is the point of modeling something in 3d if the resulting section cuts are almost unusable? It basically defeats the purpose of Revit.

See attached for an example of section cuts from Revit and from the same view exported to and printed from Autocad.Does anyone have a better workaround than detail components or reverting to Autocad?

Scott D Davis
2010-07-20, 06:22 PM
I wonder what is the point of modeling something in 3d if the resulting section cuts are almost unusable?

I think the point is that you shouldn't be modeling to that level of detail in a project. At that level, these should be 2D detail components, not live sections through the model.

narlee
2010-07-20, 06:41 PM
I think the point is that you shouldn't be modeling to that level of detail in a project. At that level, these should be 2D detail components, not live sections through the model.

I don't understand that. I do it all the time. As a Revit user, I thought the whole point was to not have to fall into 2D that much. Here's a bullnose sill, which is made with only one semi-circle. But, if I'm using closeups, I don't model the bullnose with one semi-circle, because of this result. Rather, I use two quarter-circles or sometimes even four eigth-circles, to smooth the curve. I've noticed that Revit will not improve the smoothness if you go beyond that number of segments.

rganter.97143
2010-07-20, 07:19 PM
Which is what we typically do, Scott. But that is quite un-BIM-like. And if you have a complex non-orthographic structure (think tensile roof structure or Frank Gehry, or some of Zach Kron's (http://buildz.blogspot.com/) creations), it becomes very difficult to solve the details without the benefit of an accurate and fairly detailed 3d model. In our particular case of a small project with complex geometry, Revit allowed us to model complex trusses quite quickly, each of which slopes at a different angle. Trusses, struts, tension rods, gussets and a hyperbolic fabric roof come together at varying angles depending where you cut along each truss and by cutting multiple sections along the trusses we can quickly find out where any of the elements interfere with each other and create multiple details of the varying conditions fast. It seems such a waste of time to have to dress them up with lines and detail components . . . and then to have to do fix it all when the model geometry changes. And crude-looking prints undermine my quest of promoting Revit within the firm . . .

I have to admit that I wish Autodesk would forget about new features in the next release of Revit and concentrate on all the small - and not so small - annoyances and shortcomings.

Thanks for chiming in!

SkiSouth
2010-07-20, 09:50 PM
I agree, no excuses for segmented circles once a defined limit is reached, however, if I remember correctly, the accuracy of Autocad is much higher (mathematically) than Revit, because of initial assumptions by the founders of the factory. (Buildings are built to an 1/8" - at best - not .000005" for example)

Scott Womack
2010-07-21, 10:02 AM
I agree, no excuses for segmented circles once a defined limit is reached, however, if I remember correctly, the accuracy of Autocad is much higher (mathematically) than Revit, because of initial assumptions by the founders of the factory. (Buildings are built to an 1/8" - at best - not .000005" for example)

While this is fundamentally completely true, if Autodesk wants Revit to be the defacto BIM standard, they need to allow for curtainwall manufacturers, etc. to model their production profiles in Revit, etc. One of the ultimate goals of BIM is for the building information/model to be leveraged downstream into the manufacturer/production of building components directly from the model.

As such, changes are needed. As to what changes, or how fast? That is the holy grail of crystal ball foresight.

twiceroadsfool
2010-07-21, 12:55 PM

I do have to disagree with this one, if were talking about railings in particular. If at 3"=1'-0" the circle gets segmented because its a rediculous radius, than fine. But i model a building, and cut a building section at 1/8"=1'-0".... And i have CLIENTS pointing out the railings are wrong.

Im not running around 20 building sections during Design Development, JUST to detail component railing profiles when everything else in the program looks as it should.

dmoodydesign
2010-07-21, 02:05 PM

I don't understand, how we are modeling too far if there is a tool in Revit to use specifically for that purpose? My rail at 1:10 in a detail that includes the guard, landing edge, walls, ceiling and support structure is an octagon. Sure I don't need it to be the 40mm dia. rod, but an octagon?