PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2009 --> Revit 2010 / 2011 upgrade ?

m.thomas
2010-04-09, 04:32 PM
We are using Revit 2009 and never installed Revit 2010 for various reasons.

Q1 - I assume that if I want to keep our existing in-house Revit 2009 content library which is pretty much OOTB content with some tweaks and additions I will have to batch upgrade all families ?

Q2 - In revit 2010 & 2011 are the familes and detailed components the same as those provided in revit 2009 apart from file version ? or is there new additional content ?

Sorry if the above questions have obvious answers but it's been 2 years since I had to deal with upgrade procedures.

wmullett
2010-04-09, 04:44 PM
Q1... you are right unless you want to upgarde each family everytime you use it.

Q2 ...don't know and I'm certainly not going to open up each family to see if there is a difference.

We install the complete new library. Any families that we have tweaked, we rename them when we change them and only these families are upgraded. NOTE: These are kept in a seperate folder from the stock components and are placed in the lowest level directory for each category so users find these first...If they can't find what they need here, then they can dig deeper into the stock families.

m.thomas
2010-04-09, 09:29 PM
wmullett,

I like your system, thanks for your input.

Our current system is the folder structure exactly matches the OOTB folders but I have gone through and tweaked settings etc in many of the OOTB families to match office standards. I have also deleted OOTB families which we have no use for. We also place in-house produced families in these folders. (We have a separate folder elsewhere contaning all original OOTB content for reference).

Basically in each folder we have OOTB families as issued by Autodesk, modified OOTB families, in-house produced families and families downloaded from manufacturers etc.

Benefits are:- One folder location for users to look in when hunting for families which means less time hunting through numerous folders. If content e.g door families are split in numerous folders users will have issues in locating content and it is difficult flicking back and fro comparing families looking for the one most suited to the project.

Disadvantages are :- File management issues at upgrade time. Confusion over which files to keep, overwrite etc. (This can obviously be resolved by rigid naming procedures etc).

Going to think long and hard this time on improving my system to make it as simple and logical as possible for organising office standard families alongside OOTB content whilst still retaining the 'one stop shop' philosophy.

We also have a pending folder into which various downloaded files etc get stored before they are vetted and then moved into the office library. Speaking of which that folder is bulging at the moment .... needs some time thrown at it :cry:

Teresa.Martin
2010-04-09, 11:47 PM
Hi. Yes, there is new content. There are now Structural Truss families as well as an Adaptive Component and Mass family in the Mass folder. Additionally there are now some Elevation Tag families to allow users to customize elevation tags.

Best regards,