PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Walls to Floors

briand
2004-12-07, 07:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to the forums and to Revit. I am having trouble getting the relationship between my exterior walls and floors correct. When I build a floor the exterior finish does not continue over the floor. (floor edge is exposed)

I took the Revit fundamentals training course and it does not seem to be working the way that it says in the book, or the way I did it in the labs at AU last week. I am using "pick walls" and "extend to core."

The only way I can get the exterior finish to cover the floor is to build the floor then in a section view pull the upper wall down to the bottom of the floor/top of lower wall and then attach the upper wall to the floor. The finishes stay in place and cover the floor edge but the core attaches to the floor as it should.

What am I missing? Shouldn't Revit cover the floor edge when I build the floor? I have spent and long time trying to figure this out and while the technique I described works, I can't imagine that this is the way it is supposed to be done.

Thanks for the help,
Brian

steve.70285
2004-12-07, 08:00 PM
I have a non-plan level called T.O. Foundation. When I layout exterior walls on the main floor I select the base constraint as T.O.F. This way my walls cover my floor and when cutting a section I use the cut geometry tool to show the floor cutting into the wall. This way you don't need to draw a sill plate either. .

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-12-07, 08:02 PM
Brian,

Welcome to the forum.
What you want to look into is the definition of the floor assembly. Wall/floor intersection clean up is determined by a couple of things. First, when creating your floor you want to be sure the 'extend into wall core' button is checked. Second, materials of a similar function (see the wall editor dialogue) will clean up with each other. Select the wall, properties, edit wall style and when there click the HELP button. This will give you a better idea of how this all works.
Once you get used to it you would be surprised how much control you have over the way walls/floors/roofs clean up.
If you still have come back here.

bclarch
2004-12-08, 03:16 PM
You can also edit compound walls to allow certain layers (in your case I would guess that you want to unlock the sheathing and exterior finish) to be extended independent of the wall's base constraint. Once you do this there is a base extension offset parameter in the object properties box where you can set the offset distance. So, if your floor is 1'-0" thick you would set the extension parameter to -1'-0" and the outer layers will extend down to cover the floor edge. Check out the help files on compound walls for more details. There may even be a tutorial on compound walls.