PDA

View Full Version : Conceptual Mass - Can't Change Category

bhanna173409
2010-04-13, 06:55 PM
I used the Conceptual Mass family editor to create a piece of custom millwork that I would like to ultimately reside in the furniture category, but cannot change it. I've tried cutting and pasting the geometries into other family templates without luck. Short of exporting the thing to CAD then re-importing it into the correct template, is there any way to "export" it to another category???

As I understand it, AutoDesk will be incorporating the same 3d modeling tools from the conceptual mass editor as the base method of creation for all family templates. Until that happens, what do we do?

aaronrumple
2010-04-13, 07:02 PM
Massing is for overall building massing - not detail work (for better or worse.)

You should have used an in-place family and then you can assign the category and subcategory you want. However your'll have a different set of modeling tools. (No lofting)

AP23
2010-04-14, 11:44 AM
What I've heard is that you can change the category of an adapative component family in Revit 2011, which essentially has the same massing tools as the mass family. However, it can only be imported in a mass family, but not direclty in a project enviroment or other families. So, I think this is the closest you can get and it will schedule as furniture.

Unfortunately, the massing families doesn't have any 3d fillet and subdivision surface tools like autocad, 3ds max, maya, inventor to make proper furniture.

bhanna173409
2010-04-14, 02:59 PM
Massing is for overall building massing - not detail work (for better or worse.)

You should have used . . .

I wish I could be this cavalier with my clients. "You should have chosen option 2 back in schematic design. Now you'll just have to live with whatever design I feel like giving you."

twiceroadsfool
2010-04-14, 03:33 PM
I suppose you could, as long as you gave your clients a set of Instructions on how to do architecture beforehand, and then they were just not reading it when they were picking options. ;)

bhanna173409
2010-04-15, 05:03 PM
Fortunately, architecture is not like software, and is responsive to ingenuity rather than rote compliance to an arbitrary set of rules.

Exporting the 3D view to CAD, then re-importing into the appropriate family category works well. Options for revisions are limited once the categorized family is created, but you can always step back and revise the mass family and then re-export, as well as make tweaks in CAD.

If you have complex geometries for casework components (or similar) that are best modeled with the conceptual mass "environment" the extra export-import step is a small price to pay in order to benefit from superior modeling process.

sarah.auffet
2010-07-12, 03:51 PM
why don't you just use model in-place under component?

patricks
2010-07-12, 08:47 PM
why don't you just use model in-place under component?

The conceptual massing environment and tools provided are completely different than the normal family and/or in-place family environment.