PDA

View Full Version : Wavy mullions

cliff collins
2010-04-13, 07:34 PM
Anyone know how they modeled those wavy mullions on the building on the cover of all the Revit 2011 snippets I keep seeing?

see attached.

Probably an in-place family...........

cheers

mthurnauer
2010-04-13, 07:56 PM
I would do them as in-place sweeps, but I have no idea how they did it. Other question: How would you actually build that? They couldn't be an aluminum extrusion with all of those crazy bends could they?

cliff collins
2010-04-13, 08:02 PM
"Snap-on" applied mullions--the "real" mullions are behind?

cheers

Scott D Davis
2010-04-13, 08:31 PM
In Revit 2011, you can divide the surface a Conceptual Mass in a number of different ways, including by sketching model lines on a workplane and dividing the surface of the Mass by those model lines. This allows the creation of mullions/divisions in any pattern.

You can also divide the surface of a Mass by datum lines, such as level lines. This assures that you can have mullions that fall horizontally at your floors. In past versions of Revit, the surface divisions followed the contour of the shape.

cliff collins
2010-04-13, 08:40 PM
Cool! I've been wanting this kind of functionality for several years.

Now, back to "how would that get built?"....................

cheers

AP23
2010-04-14, 09:42 AM
I wonder if you can also use curved models lines or splines to divide the surface.

Speaking of curtain walls, I wonder if there is an easier way to create random panels in Revit 2011 like the image without diving into to the API?

kafka
2010-05-11, 02:32 PM
I wonder if you can also use curved models lines or splines to divide the surface.

Speaking of curtain walls, I wonder if there is an easier way to create random panels in Revit 2011 like the image without diving into to the API?

No API, no party! :-)

rkitect
2010-05-11, 04:46 PM

Adaptive Components. Use a ref point to calculate the distance of the center of each circle from a point in the component and use that to create the radius of the opening.

How to build that? Why, it's all leaded glass, of course :)

Steve_Stafford
2010-05-11, 06:42 PM

Pictured project was built using 2008/9 before any of the new fangled tools were available.

cliff collins
2010-05-12, 03:28 PM
Steve,

1. Which image? "wavy mullions" or "perforated panels"?

2. I was asking how the "wavy mullions" were done--before 2011 was released,
hoping there was some new cool curtainwall functionality to create those organic
shaped mullions........................

cheers

Steve_Stafford
2010-05-12, 07:38 PM
The Cannon/Yazdani designed building in the image of AP23's post.