PDA

View Full Version : Building Code Analysis

Valkin
2010-04-15, 05:13 AM
One of the goals my firm is trying to acomplish this year is to use Revit more in gathering the building information to help in the building code anaylsis.

I was wondering how are others using Revit to help with their Building code analysis?
What type of information are you pulling out of the model?
What kind of schedules are you using?
What kind of drawings are you using? (Area plans vs floor plans)
Are you doing the calculations in Revit or pulling the data to another program like Excel?
Are you using other programs like Solibri for the code analysis?

Scott Womack
2010-04-15, 10:06 AM
What type of information are you pulling out of the model?

We pull the total Gross SF, and Perimeter lengths, the Total Building Egress Capacity, Exit door Widths, and Total Exit Door Width, Required number of plumbing fixtures, compared to the number of fixtures actually being provided, Number of Existing, renovated, and Addition square footage, and percentages against the original existing building. On rare occasions, the total area of glass versus solid wall.

What kind of schedules are you using?

We use a combination of things. Mass Floor schedules in early design, Two different types of Area Plans and Schedules, Plumbing Schedules, Key Schedules and pre-defined Text in Drafting/Legend Views

What kind of drawings are you using? (Area plans vs floor plans)

Area Plans, mostly

Are you doing the calculations in Revit or pulling the data to another program like Excel?

80% of the calculation is in Revit, remainder is "Manual" and entered into the Code Text Views

Are you using other programs like Solibri for the code analysis?

We have looked at this plus one other program, and decided, that for the cost, there was insufficient value for our firm's practice.

If you search these forums, there are several threads on various code schedules, and more detailed information on how to develop and use them. I hope this starts your brain to working.

Good Luck!

tcupp
2010-04-15, 11:40 AM
I have only scratched the surface here but I have set up room params with occupant types assiged. I also have a schedule with those occupancy types tied to their respective occupancy loads. And a schedule that calculates total load on a floor by floor basis. That is then dropped on our code sheet in the CDs.

I have looked at or heard of solibri. Thanks for mentioning. Probably too much $$$ for us but still nice to know it's out there.