PDA

View Full Version : Layers that won't delete

LT.Seabee
2004-12-08, 12:30 AM
I've always been befuddled as to some drawings started in AEC have layers that you cannot delete (A-GLAZ, A-WALL-PATT, ETC) There's got to be a way to get rid of them without wblocking everything out or something of that nature. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks!
Harvey Lusk :screwy:

mjfarrell
2004-12-08, 01:10 AM
Other than wblocking only the visible objects out into a new file
the other method is to use qselect and or filter and find and delete
all items on the non-deletable layers so that they will purge.
You may find that the layers in question are actually nested within
blocks that will need to be redefined without those layer definitions in them
before they will purge.

All that to say, the layer will not purge as long as there are objects on them
or that contain the layer definition in them.

They could even be in some of those pesky un-named blocks that AutoCAD
creates without your knowledge.

chris.yanchar
2004-12-08, 02:10 AM
The other possibility is that there are hard-coded layers specified in the display properties of any ADT object styles in the drawing. Setting them to 0 would allow you to purge them.

LT.Seabee
2004-12-08, 04:01 PM
The other possibility is that there are hard-coded layers specified in the display properties of any ADT object styles in the drawing. Setting them to 0 would allow you to purge them.

Where would I find the display property settings?

mjfarrell
2004-12-08, 04:06 PM
Within the various styles for the ADT objects you will find the
settings you seek.

LT.Seabee
2004-12-08, 04:25 PM
Thing is, I have no ADT objects in my drawing, other than the ADCAD_ZZ block. I'm sure that is the cause of the layer problem, but I'm unsure how to purge that.

mjfarrell
2004-12-08, 04:30 PM
Draw a line on Layer zero, and create a block named

ADCAD_ZZ from that line. When alerted that the block exists
answer YES to redefining it.

robert.1.hall72202
2004-12-08, 07:09 PM
If possible, set all visible objects on the screen to desired layers.
Lock the layers being kept and then perform an "Erase all".
All objects that are seemingly out in outer space will be erased.
Finally, the purge command gets rid of the extra layers.

DBowers
2004-12-08, 10:58 PM
Thing is, I have no ADT objects in my drawing, other than the ADCAD_ZZ block. I'm sure that is the cause of the layer problem, but I'm unsure how to purge that.

Even if you don't have any ADT objects placed in the drawing, you still have "Standard" styles defined for each of the various objects. If you go into the Style Manager and go into the Wall Styles, you will see a "Standard" wall style. If you edit that style, you will see various layers assigned to different components in the the various displays for the style.

If you really want to get rid of all of those layers, you will need to go into each object in the Style Manager and modify each display of each one of the objects. It will take you quite awhile.

That isn't a really detailed explanation of how to get rid of the layers, but it is an overview that hopefully helps.

Doug

chris.yanchar
2004-12-10, 04:45 AM
Additionally the 'Drawing Default' display properties could have hard-coded layers set on them. You'd need to check in Display Manager under Representations by Object and then check each rep for each object.

dbroad
2004-12-11, 03:13 PM
In general, if you want to use ADT and create a drawing with ADT objects, you should just let the display, style and layer system do their jobs. There are far fewer layers in OOTB ADT2005 templates than in ADT2004 templates. I think they cut out as many as they could. In my OOTB model and view templates, the resident layers only relate to the predefined layout "Work" which has some title block layers and some non-plotting layers.

Sounds like you may have created your own template from a previous job. If so, you may need to purge the window and door styles and wall styles saved with the template before you can purge the layers.

If you want to use ADT to create non-ADT drawings, then use different templates and start ADT with an AutoCAD profile and a plain AutoCAD template.

Hope that helps.