PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Form Tie Holes

markusb
2010-04-16, 03:54 PM
I am trying to figure out what the best method is for creating concrete form tie holes.

We want this to show up in elevations and renderings; and we need to be able to control the location of each hole (but it will be some sort of grid pattern).

My initial two thoughts are:

1. Create a model pattern that we use for the elevations and use a concrete material with a bump pattern for the renderings. (seems like this would be a leaner model, but more finicky to get the holes in the right location)

2. Edit the profile of the wall. (seems like it could bog down the model, but we'd be able to be precise)

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

aaronrumple
2010-04-16, 04:03 PM
Wall hosted family with a void cutting the wall. Will look Louis Kahn sharp.

kplusa
2010-04-16, 10:18 PM
A bit off-topic, but interesting on the subject of form ties and Kahn.

http://vimeo.com/7809605?hd=1

aaronrumple
2010-04-17, 12:13 AM
....and I remember way back when a brochure showed up in the mail with photos of Kahn's hurva synagogue inside. I thought to myself, "when did that get built?" After a few minutes it sunk in that it was done in Litescape and all CG. I knew that was a game changer.

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-04-17, 03:31 AM
"If I were a tie hole, what would I want to be?"

Put me down foir option 1. As you said the pattern will be/should be regular or repeatable so a model hatch can be easily created, aligned and revised. A hosted family will need to be managed as individual elements and will probably be more work. As for graphics, if each tie hole is modeled it will create an edge that may be more difficult to control from a lineweight standpoint.
A good bump map and image file should look fine in a render.

mthurnauer
2010-04-17, 12:16 PM
When I do renderings of architectural concrete, I often draw the form pattern and then export the lines/ holes in a format that I can then bring into photoshop. I then use my concrete texture as the background layer and then fill the holes and joints and then use emboss to create some relief. You can then also turn off the concrete backgroung texture and generate your bump map. It is pretty easy and you can get the exact size pattern you need.