PDA

View Full Version : Dimensioning circular hand rails in plan

patricks
2010-04-16, 06:48 PM
I modified the circular hand rail profile to be 4 quarter circles, with the thinking that if it had end points at all four quadrants of the profile, it would be easier to snap a dimension to the rail. So far it has worked for my circular rails with straight-cut ends in plan, and it works in section views. But for some reason if I make the rail return to the wall at the end, I can't get a dimension line to snap to the side of the rail in plan. It should be the same as snapping to the top or bottom of the rail in section (which works), I just can't get it to work in plan. Why is this?

Captainkb
2010-04-16, 07:44 PM
I modified the circular hand rail profile to be 4 quarter circles, with the thinking that if it had end points at all four quadrants of the profile, it would be easier to snap a dimension to the rail. So far it has worked for my circular rails with straight-cut ends in plan, and it works in section views. But for some reason if I make the rail return to the wall at the end, I can't get a dimension line to snap to the side of the rail in plan. It should be the same as snapping to the top or bottom of the rail in section (which works), I just can't get it to work in plan. Why is this?

Does your rail profile have reference planes on the edges of the circle? This should allow a dimension snap in the project. Other than that it is prolly a cut plane issue, since your rail is not cut in plan.

Mike Sealander
2010-04-17, 01:20 AM
I agree, reference planes are the default way to get dimensions to work out in families. Carefull constructed ref planes will allow you to dimension where and how you like.

patricks
2010-04-17, 09:32 PM
Doesn't work for railing profiles. Probably because you're not dimensioning the profile family directly when it's used in a rail.